Sucre

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Parintachin

Postby Parintachin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:40 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Parintachin wrote:...or would you prefer I elucidate you...

Only if you disambiguate me, too. (Just joshing. I'll bet you misused elucidate for comic effect.)

I like words as much as the next guy. Maybe it's from reading Fowler a zillion years ago, I don't know, but "shall" just sounds pretentious to me. Or Renaissance Fairish. A little silly, either way.

Well, we are talking about a fancy French-esque patisserie here. One must stick one's pinky out and shall your way through the conversation.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:55 pm

True.

You shall go and reporteth, right? It's unlike any other place in town. I got more use out of McDonald's, and I still miss it, but I hope Sucre stays around.

Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Wino » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:15 pm

Parintachin wrote: when they soundlessly refill my coffee as soon as my empty cup hits the table.

Is this a "bottomless coffee" kinda place?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:30 pm

Wino wrote:
Parintachin wrote: when they soundlessly refill my coffee as soon as my empty cup hits the table.

Is this a "bottomless coffee" kinda place?

Definitely not.

Parintachin, I suspect you'll dig it.

coldspot
Forum Addict

Postby coldspot » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:49 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
coldspot wrote:An authentic accent? Or pretentious, fake accent?

You have got to be fucking kidding me. Dain is from Australia. They speak in an accent different from ours over there.

Your boner for Sucre-bashing hasn't subsided yet? Shouldn't you be consulting a health-care professional?

Oh, just go fuck off BookNazi! It was a legitimate question. I wanted to understand why it was mentioned in the first place. Go crawl away.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:24 pm

coldspot wrote:I wanted to understand why it was mentioned in the first place.

Because Parintachin said "shall." That wasn't clear?

coldspot
Forum Addict

Postby coldspot » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:41 pm

Oh, I didn't realize "shall" was only used in the UK.
As for bashing Sucre, I will repeat that I haven't been there and have not reviewed it.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:33 am

Are you sure it's not bottomless coffee? It's been quite a while since I was there but I remember them having a barrista to make special order drinks but also brewed coffee. That was back when they served during breakfast, though.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:40 am

You may be right. I should have clarified that my comment was framed by the term "'bottomless coffee' type place," i.e. George Webb. They may very well offer unlimited refills of brewed coffee, but they're not Edward Hopper's "Nighthawks." That's what I was saying.

Parintachin

Postby Parintachin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:52 pm

Read New and Improved Parintachin Brand Forum Post: Now with NEWS.

Went to Sucre with a chip on my shoulder. In blue-jeans and waffle-stompers, unshaven, looking like I'd been drinking heavily the night before and had barely slept (which, I had). It was Art Fair on the Square this weekend and thank gawd for that. With all the street food vendors we still got a table despite showing up late.

A comment about the Decor. While it is very bright, very clean and very artistic, it's soooo not my style. Partially because it was so bright and my poor, underclosed eyeballs felt like my sockets had been lined with 40 grit sandpaper. Nevertheless, it's immediately obvious from the front row people-watching windows that this is a lingering type of place. It's a cafe, it's not a McDonalds (anymore). Un-hurried service should be expected.

Ran into Dain at the front counter. They were nominally busy but he was perfectly polite. I introduced myself as a local foodie and we chatted about his croissants for a while. Apparently they'd been in since 4am making the food and the croissants are folded seven times. I'm a whore for a good croissant. Croissants are a water mark to me, just yet another in a long line of foods that we've surrendered so thoroughly to mass production that we've forgotten how sublime a real, well made croissant is.

It was perfect. No butter or adornment needed. It actually reminded me (for you olde schoolers) of an Ovens of Brittany croissant from their heyday... and that is saying something.

I also got samples off my fellow diners and there wasn't a less-than-sublime one in the lot. The pear and blue cheese sandwich was not my kind of thing so skip that. The sublime awesomeness on the table was strong with the fruit tart. The butter crust, almost like a cookie, was perfect. The fruit was obsessively fresh and the glaze struck a Tao like balance of sweet. It was also almost to pretty to eat.

If I haven't gushed enough and if you're not currently spewing bile all over your shoes, I'd like to make a comment that there is a lot of effort going into this food for a very reasonable price. I have food way worse than this in a number of dessert joints and bakeries on my travels that cost at least twice as much. It made me afraid that this shit wouldn't last. You so rarely find these wonderful little confluences where an over-talented chef is working for too little money because they've got something to prove. I need to make this a weekend thing and get as many good pastries out of this guy before something happens to pop this happy bubble.

Okay, enough gushing, let's bitch for a bit.

Now, I've been around the restaurant industry for a long enough time to pick out certain cues. This is a small operation. If they were in at 4am and they close at 1am, as my fellow diner Corrie put it, "When do they sleep?". While the service was polite, it wasn't pulled off with the military precision of a great restaurant. Dain and one other nice lady behind the counter were taking orders, pulling coffee, plating, and doing their own floor service. Given that some of their menu isn't grab and go and requires some assembly, they could have used one person doing floor service while they ran the counter. In a rush, I can imagine the two of them getting in the weeds le quick.

This leads me to believe that the owners are trying to keep the costs down by doing everything themselves. A noble, noble, ball-busting effort that is to be admired... but it might be worth considering a small waitstaff if only to stop people like Bad Granger who look past the fantastic pastries from, as we say in the ghetto, getting their knickers in a twist.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:11 pm

Well-typed. ::golfclap::

I need to make this a weekend thing and get as many good pastries out of this guy* before something happens to pop this happy bubble.

Indeed!

*But, one note: the proprietor of Sucre is Punky Egan, a chickypoo.

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:06 pm

Parintachin wrote:but it might be worth considering a small waitstaff if only to stop people like Bad Granger who look past the fantastic pastries from, as we say in the ghetto, getting their knickers in a twist.

I'm gonna not be a jerk and say I'm glad you had a good time.

Parintachin

Postby Parintachin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:30 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Well-typed. ::golfclap::

I need to make this a weekend thing and get as many good pastries out of this guy* before something happens to pop this happy bubble.

Indeed!

*But, one note: the proprietor of Sucre is Punky Egan, a chickypoo.

Yes yes, I remember that about 15 mins after I pushed the submit button. My apologies Ms. Egan. Well done all around. If'n yer takin' requests, I'd love to see some Pan Raisin.

Strangler Lewis

Postby Strangler Lewis » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:23 pm

I taunt my SO by referring to Sucre as Sucker, because that's what I felt like after going there on a Friday evening.

SO has been for lunch and love love loved it.

Service: College Girl knew nothing about the menu, tried to be polite and professional, had to run in and out of the joint 11 times to answer questions and find out if they still had what was listed on the menu. We only ordered dessert and drinks and it was excruciatingly slow (14 minutes for a glass of wine, I timed it).

Food: Lemon Tart and some kind of cake were delicious. They were also tiny and expensive. Very poor value, prohibitively poor value.

Summary: Great idea, good food, but for what they're asking people to pay they need to make the service and portions match.

P.S. The $8.50 Lemon Tart is half that for lunch, and the price on the receipt reflected that it was evening price. B.S.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:05 pm

Strangler Lewis wrote:

Just wanted to say I love the screen name. Kinda makes me wish I'd chosen Ox Baker.

I went to sucre on tuesday. I'm glad madison is beginning to experience places like this because although sucre isn't my cup o tea, anything that encourages late-night dining in this town is welcomed with open arms by me. I just don't have an appreciation of "gourmet" food, and desserts in particular. It's all just sugar to me. I get just as much or more pleasure out of a chocolate bismark as I did out of anything I tried there. I have to admit that my first reaction to the portion-to-price ratio was a little cold, but then I just remind myself that our american belief that super-sized portions are practically a law of the land is also the same reason that we are a country full of obese, unhealthy, unattractive slobs. So price aside, I see nothing wrong with smaller portions. Before I digress more I would like to say that I hope this place makes it and everyone should try it. They had GReat coffee!

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”