Africana

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Africana

Postby crevice beatle » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:29 pm

Took a short trip to the ozarks - came back and this place was open in my hood.
Is it fair I start take credit for starting this thread even though I have not yet been there, much less know anything about it?
It looks pretty damn promising... So please, I know there are plenty of you in the Atwood neighborhood on here - give me the scoop, who's tried it?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:42 pm

redrose

Postby redrose » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:48 pm

I have plans to go on sunday night. I'll get back to you...

DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby DedeTate » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:13 pm

I went the weekend before last - the food menu looked pretty good. They have an extensive drink menu, but the bartenders weren't quite on top of things yet (I think it was their opening weekend). I was there on a Saturday night after 10pm or so, and they had a DJ - I think they're going for a restaurant/club atmosphere.
I thought it was just okay - but I also think the place is too new to be judged fairly.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:53 am

We stopped there during the storms intending to go to Sala Thai. It was good, not great. I both liked and disliked that they use bone-in chicken parts; liked because it gave a sense of "real food," but disliked because they didn't really use the meatier parts, so it felt like mostly sauce.

I had the Yassa, my companion had the Maffe, and we split an order of the Alloco.

They serve the items in wooden dishes and provide you with both metal flatware and wooden spoons.

Our server recommended rice with both; in retrospect I think the Fufu would have been a more interesting and enjoyable option.

The Maffe was a bit mild in flavor, and earthy. We were both expecting something with a little more body to it. It wasn't bad, but neither of us thought we would want to order that again.

The Yassa was tasty, but ultimately it wasn't really that much different than a baked chicken dish I can do at home.

The Alloco and the sauce it came with were excellent.

Overall a nice addition to the area, but not one I will crave.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:13 pm

I ate there last night. It was probably the worst meal I've ever paid for at a restaurant. The fries I had at Mickey's later were far superior to anything that I or my dining companions ordered. We are all vegetarians so perhaps meat eaters will have a better experience.

Garimba
Forum Addict

Postby Garimba » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:29 pm

jhain wrote:I ate there last night. It was probably the worst meal I've ever paid for at a restaurant. The fries I had at Mickey's later were far superior to anything that I or my dining companions ordered. We are all vegetarians so perhaps meat eaters will have a better experience.

OMG! Harsh, no? Try the cupcakes at Mother Fools and you'll have a new worse food item you've ever paid for!

On the other hand, few things compare to Mickey's fries. They could just serve those and warm water and I'd keep going back!

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:35 pm

Garimba wrote:OMG! Harsh, no? Try the cupcakes at Mother Fools and you'll have a new worse food item you've ever paid for!

But I like those cupcakes!

Garimba wrote:On the other hand, few things compare to Mickey's fries. They could just serve those and warm water and I'd keep going back!

They are pretty good fries.

The meal at Africana suffered from weird service, odd interior (it felt like a restaurant that wished it was a nightclub), confusing menu and then really bad food. I'd think that out of 4 dishes ordered someone should have got something decent. For $13.98 I expect more than a small plate of steamed vegetables. It was weird to the point of being almost comical - if it weren't for the money being flushed down the drain.

Like I said, meat eaters might fare better. I, however, don't plan to return.

Garimba
Forum Addict

Postby Garimba » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:43 pm

jhain wrote:
Garimba wrote:OMG! Harsh, no? Try the cupcakes at Mother Fools and you'll have a new worse food item you've ever paid for!

But I like those cupcakes!

Garimba wrote:On the other hand, few things compare to Mickey's fries. They could just serve those and warm water and I'd keep going back!

They are pretty good fries.

The meal at Africana suffered from weird service, odd interior (it felt like a restaurant that wished it was a nightclub), confusing menu and then really bad food. I'd think that out of 4 dishes ordered someone should have got something decent. For $13.98 I expect more than a small plate of steamed vegetables. It was weird to the point of being almost comical - if it weren't for the money being flushed down the drain.

Like I said, meat eaters might fare better. I, however, don't plan to return.

I thought "the worst meal I've ever paid for at a restaurant" was a little harsh.

Maybe I'm biased because I really want to see this place succeed.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:51 pm

I know my response was harsh but I really don't think I've ever had that bad of a meal before. (Maybe at a diner in Belize City but that was only a buck or two, not 15!)

Hopefully, they will get their ship in order but what I experienced last night was not promising. I went there with high hopes as I, too, would like to see them be successful. It is right in my neighborhood and, usually, African restaurants are good for vegetarians.

BobbyOrr

Postby BobbyOrr » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:35 pm

I ate there last week and enjoyed my meal...the fried plantains were tasty and if you like peanut sauce, you'll dig the Maffe...our (very pleasant) server was helpful with suggestions, too. Anyway, give it a try and see for yourself...gimme a new place like this over another Chili's or TGIF's any day...

redrose

Postby redrose » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:08 am

Just went there the other night. Odd experience with the service. Not much of it. Had to wait 20 minutes for a server to arrive. Then took longer for a water. They screwed up a couple things with the order. And everyone working seemed to move very slooowly.

After all of that though, we got our food and it was all rather enjoyable. Had the goat maffe, the fried whole tilapia, and some fried plantains. The fufu (a side to the maffe) reminded me of very thick instant mashed potatoes, but not bad dipped into the maffe sauce. All in all, glad to have went. I think once they get there ducks in a row with the service end of things it will be a more well rounded experience. But if you are not in any rush, I'd recommend giving it a try.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:17 pm

Went there the other night.

Uneven, but shows promise.

They ran out of water glasses, so I had to drink water from an enormous bamboo tumbler. They also were out of beef, and the potato delivery hadn't shown up that day.

I had chicken maffe, which was very good. The fried plantains were a little greasy, as was the nem (beef and noodle spring-roll type things). They were fairly tasty, though. The fufu worked well in the context of the maffe sauce, but was an inferior experience on its own. My cohorts had the chicken suya and the yassa - the chicken suya was spiced well according to one guy, and the other didn't say much about the chicken in the yassa but was captivated by the onion sauce.

Service was earnest but a little overwhelmed.

It'll be interesting to see how they shake out once they've had some time to get the logistics of running a restuarant under control.

sanchez83

Postby sanchez83 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:39 am

Stopped in the other night to check this place out. I gotta say, it was good experience all around. The food was great and the prices seemed fair for what you get. Our waitress was incredibly helpful and very attentive, and took the time to explain the dishes and sauces (she also let us taste a couple of the different sauces before we placed our order)

I will definitely stop back, as there were quite a few items on the menu that I'd love to try.

dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby dudemeister » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:32 pm

Ate there this weekend. I thought it was pretty good. The service was nice and quite fast. The food was interesting and pretty unique for Madison.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”