Alchemy

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Garimba
Forum Addict
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:13 pm

Postby Garimba » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:07 am

boston_jeff wrote:Weary still gets the nod for best neighborhood bar food


Weary is bar food? Where? I do like the food at Weary when I can get one of the servers that doesn't like serving to bring me food. I was once told that my Yankees hat was the reason I wasn't getting any service. But I would hardly classify Weary as "neighborhood bar food". Willy Street Pub, Harmony Bar, that's bar food. Mediterranean platters and ghoulash... very yummy at the Weary but not bar food.

Maybe in boston_jeff.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:22 am

Yes, I was there once before it became Alchemy and it had a very similar jambandy/folkie vibe then too. The artwork on the walls is really the only major difference I can detect.

The "hoity toity" menu that they trotted out isn't really all that hoity IMO. Just good sandwiches, etc., done up a little nicer than your run of the mill pub food, decently priced. If you can't stand the idea of slightly non-traditional burgers and sandwiches, then yes, you might not like it. But, its not exactly a radical menu. Ducatista, based on previous food posts you'd probably dig it, and the beers are worth it.

Seems like bleu is hung up on the Wonder's of old, thats cool, I just wasn't a regular there so I guess I wouldn't understand.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:28 am

Garimba wrote:
boston_jeff wrote:Weary still gets the nod for best neighborhood bar food


Weary is bar food? Where? I do like the food at Weary when I can get one of the servers that doesn't like serving to bring me food. I was once told that my Yankees hat was the reason I wasn't getting any service. But I would hardly classify Weary as "neighborhood bar food". Willy Street Pub, Harmony Bar, that's bar food. Mediterranean platters and ghoulash... very yummy at the Weary but not bar food.

Maybe in boston_jeff.


Probably true. A bar that serves burgers, fish and rb sandwiches, med./swestern/cheese and meat platters, and soups/salads would be considered "pub food" back home, maybe not "bar food." Burgers and fish and chips, "pub food." The Weary does have some special touches, but its glorified "pub food" IMO. Maybe thats part of the problem, if they really expanded the menu I might consider it more than that, and I might go back more often.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:05 pm
Location: Easy Street

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:38 pm

bleurose on March 25, 2008 wrote:I haven't had the heart to even go past there yet, not sure I'll get around to it.


bleurose on March 31, 2008 wrote:And I have no problem with "letting the new folks do their thing" and I wish them luck. I just won't be by there for a while. Joyce was right when he said that some individuals won't like it no matter what, but I'll be interested to see what it's like - later.


bleurose on June 10, 2008 wrote:As an old Wonder's regular, I finally gave Alchemy a try . . .Ah, well, I certainly don't have to go back and probably won't until some adults own it again. There are plenty of other places in this town to go that understand what a pub/bar SHOULD be. This place is laughable.


bleurose wrote: My opinion, you are free to disagree with it; I don't really give a s__t if you do.


I would quarrel with your opinion if it wasn't so obvious that you had formed it long before Alchemy actually opened. You were going to hate it whether they painted one wall or not, right? And for most of us, atmosphere is not solely constituted by painted walls or paintings, but the people who populate the establishment. In this case, the absence of people like you have made Alchemy all the better.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:29 pm

Garimba wrote:I was once told that my Yankees hat was the reason I wasn't getting any service.

You say that like it's unreasonable.

bleurose
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:46 pm

Postby bleurose » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:25 pm

Like I said, I was willing to give it try. The fact that I wasn't there the day it was opened to try it is a sin in some folks' eyes apparently. Damned if I tried it, damned if I didn't. If you like what loosely passes for decor, go for it, have fun. I called it that because it was obvious that SOMEONE made some effort to change the decoration. Agreed that it was nothing to talk about before, but the effort was pitiful and the new rendition still sucks. However, for those of you that like it, again, fill the empty seats, enjoy. Duc, enjoy yourself. I hope there are enough of you out there that the place makes a go. I'm still betting my nickel that it won't. I'm also betting there will be plenty of empty seats at any time so, no waiting. As noted before, these are my opinions and I don't really give a shit if you disagree. :roll:

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:05 pm
Location: Easy Street

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:38 pm

bleurose wrote:As noted before, these are my opinions and I don't really give a shit if you disagree. :roll:


You seem pretty insistent on restating (biased, baseless) opinions for someone who doesn't give a shit.

destryscholes
Forum Addict
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:03 am

Postby destryscholes » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:58 pm

I think the Alchemy is going to do just fine. Yes, the art on the wall is atrocious, but considering food, music, cleanliness - overall the place is a big upgrade from Wonder's.

crevice beatle
Forum Addict
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:40 am

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:24 pm

I think a key factor to their success will pivot on the ability to attract the pre-barrymore show dinner crowd and the post-barrymore show drinking/music crowd.
I have yet to go there in the evening for any live music - hopefully they can build some neighborhood regulars with the right band on the right night, much like Wonder's did with the Lonesome Rogues.
Leaving Willy Street out of the equation, Mr. Robert's is the next nearest dive for live rock music and is not a very desireable place to visit for more reasons then i care to list here.
I stopped in Alchemy a couple friday nights ago and everything seemed a bit unkept and disorganized compared to my first couple visits. Hopefully this isn't a trend. If they can keep things tight, stay on top of their shit, and make some adjustments, i don't see why they wouldn't last.

Mark Snowden
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Postby Mark Snowden » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:13 pm

Alchemy is definitely an upgrade from Wonder's, even if just for the fact that it stays open after 11pm.

Speaking as one who lives in the neighborhood, Alchemy fills a needed niche - a late night place to get a bite to eat. Name another bar/restaurant within a 2 mile radius where you can order dinner after midnight, let alone see live music just about any night of the week. Decent live music, not just crunchy granola string bands. For no cover. Nuggernaut on Thursdays is a good jazz combo, and the place regularly books reggae, funk/R&B, DJs and jamrock bands in addition to the bluegrass and folk stuff that Wonder's booked (which I never saw, because the place CLOSED AT 11PM!) Last Friday nite I had a great piece of grilled salmon with some tasty potatoes and green beans, which I ordered at midnight and thoroughly enjoyed. It was MUCH better than the battered cod fishfry that was also on special (and available pretty much anyplace else in Wisconsin), and didn't cake grease onto my arteries and waistline.

And as for bleucheese's comments above, they are ridiculous. What cave have you been living in where restaurants and bars don't feature original local artwork that's for sale? Yeah, the quality might be uneven, but at least it showcases local artists, and it will get changed every few months anyway. A menu is "pretentious" because they mix a bit of garlic in the mayonaise, use fresh rolls and marinate the burgers in a bit of rum?! Sorry to bruise your sensitive palate. Why don't you just walk 2 blocks down the street to Monty's and get your meatloaf and mashed potatoes at 5pm so you can be all tucked into your comfy cocoon by 8.
Last edited by Mark Snowden on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8680
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:01 am

Mark Snowden wrote:A menu is "pretentious" because they mix a bit of aioli in the mayonaise

Back to Cuisine 101 for you.

Anyway, the better half and I visited Alchemy tonight, and it was pretty darn good. I had the bison melt, and while it was a little bland, a little industrial, and way too big for the bun, it was a respectable offering. However, the BLFT was outstanding. My lovely dining companion told me that it was the best BLT she'd had since Radical Rye closed. Anywhere. I'd be inclined to agree. The tomatoes were nuclear-hot.

As for the sides, both the green beans and fries were well above average.

Sure, the artwork was mediocre, but it was so sparse that only an anti-change zealot would make such a fuss about it. I was more put off by the extreme warmth in the air, the sticky tabletop, and the illegible beer menu on the wall. But these things are easily changed, and the 7 pieces of crappy artwork are easily ignored. We will most definitely be back, and I'd go so far as to say that we'll be back regularly.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4459
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Postby fennel » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:43 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
Mark Snowden wrote:A menu is "pretentious" because they mix a bit of aioli in the mayonaise

Back to Cuisine 101 for you.
I heard they put marinara in their tomato sauce, too.
TheBookPolice wrote:Anyway, the better half and I visited Alchemy tonight, and it was pretty darn good. I had the bison melt, and while it was a little bland, a little industrial, and way too big for the bun, it was a respectable offering. ...
But what about that bun? One shoud never talk about a sandwich without mentioning the bread. Was it real bread, or the bar standard of soft-serve white goo?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8680
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:31 am

No, it was nice. Had a little tooth to it, but fluffy and dusted with cornmeal. Just pathetically small for the distressingly geometric patty.

Garimba
Forum Addict
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:13 pm

Postby Garimba » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:03 am

Mean Scenester wrote:
Garimba wrote:I was once told that my Yankees hat was the reason I wasn't getting any service.

You say that like it's unreasonable.


And you're jealous of Mac users too. You're a Red Lobster kind of guy.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9600
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Postby rabble » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:23 am

I live in that general area but haven't been out to Schenk's Corners recently.

Can anyone tell me if they still display a "Guinness on Draught" neon sign in the window but have only Guinness in bottles inside?


Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest