Alchemy

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Alchemy

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:55 am

This place seemed to come out of nowhere; or rather i heard nothing of it until i drove by. it is located in the old wonder's pub location.
they didn't change much of the interior other than the artwork on the walls.
the menu was pretty impressive and the prices reasonable. i would say they've outdone mickey's as far as food goes. i ordered a burger and it was excellent. plus, they had a good tap beer selection. i was sad to see wonders go, but i would say this place makes for a very worthy follow up in the neighborhood.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:10 pm

My only question:

Can you still smell the urinal cakes as soon as you walk into the bar?

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:19 pm

Marvell wrote:My only question:

can't say i ever recall that being a issue with either place. ?????

kweetech
Forum Addict

Re: Alchemy

Postby kweetech » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:36 pm

crevice beatle wrote:the menu was pretty impressive and the prices reasonable. i would say they've outdone mickey's as far as food goes. i ordered a burger and it was excellent. plus, they had a good tap beer selection. i was sad to see wonders go, but i would say this place makes for a very worthy follow up in the neighborhood.

I wasn't that impressed with the food selection.
It wasn't bad, but nothing that makes me go... "hey, let's go there for food"
Kind of like Weary without the choices, but not as "barfood tasty" as Mickey's

Ok beer selction when I was there..nothing too unusual beside Poet and Dead Guy.
I miss the old dank...

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Re: Alchemy

Postby crevice beatle » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:54 am

kweetech wrote:
crevice beatle wrote:the menu was pretty impressive and the prices reasonable. i would say they've outdone mickey's as far as food goes. i ordered a burger and it was excellent. plus, they had a good tap beer selection. i was sad to see wonders go, but i would say this place makes for a very worthy follow up in the neighborhood.

I wasn't that impressed with the food selection.
It wasn't bad, but nothing that makes me go... "hey, let's go there for food"
Kind of like Weary without the choices, but not as "barfood tasty" as Mickey's

Ok beer selction when I was there..nothing too unusual beside Poet and Dead Guy.
I miss the old dank...

i will concede that the food selection was not impressive, i was more referring the type of items i saw seemed to offer a different twist on the usual bar fare.
the weary's comparison is fair and true - but i must be missing something with mickey's.
i've been there 3 times for dinner and i found it just good enough. my one experience at alchemy would make me much more compelled to go there for food.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:01 am

Since this place is now owned by a younger-set, where's the website?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:59 pm

crevice beatle wrote:
Marvell wrote:My only question:

can't say i ever recall that being a issue with either place. ?????

Lucky you.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:29 pm

I enjoyed the one meal I had there, but still prefer Weary as a nabe joint, yet to try Mickey's.

bleurose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:32 am

As an old Wonder's regular, I finally gave Alchemy a try. Wanted to see what they have done & if it could indeed substitute for the old place.

The menu is pretentious, but the food is not bad and the prices are also not bad. I'm guessing it won't be long before the prices go up however as they seem below what reality says they should be. Especially given the hoity-toity menu they are presenting.

The high school "art work" on the walls is awful. And even worse, they are for sale !! Whoever would actually buy one of those pictures? I'm not surprised at the "decor" though as some interior decorator wannabe has also painted the back wall - where there is little light anyway - a dark color and then put really tacky dark brown sheer curtains on huge rings over the windows. Let's see if we can block even more light :roll:

Ah, well, I certainly don't have to go back and probably won't until some adults own it again. There are plenty of other places in this town to go that understand what a pub/bar SHOULD be. This place is laughable.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:37 am

so, you say the food is not bad and the prices are not bad, but they've blocked too much light so the place is laughable.
interesting review.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:56 am

bitter jackass wrote:As an old Wonder's regular, I am forced to conclude that I am a bitter jackass.

Fixed.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:44 am

Weary still gets the nod for best neighborhood bar food, but the crowding and stagnant menu are cause to avoid it.

I really like the BLT with the fried tomato at Alchemy, really excellent, and the tap beer choice is far superior to Mickey's and Weary. The decor is kind of corny, but for a quick lunch or dinner its an allright place.

Finally had a burger and truffled potatoes at Mickey's. It was pretty good, and Mickey's still gets my vote as best nabe bar for the terrace, the crowd, and the juke.

bleurose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:35 am

Just saying that as far as I'm concerned, the place is laughable and I won't be going back. The atmosphere, such as it is, leaves me cold and the decor which is such a big part of whatever 'atmosphere' is, sucks. And yes, in case you hadn't noticed or in case it means nothing to you, what a place looks like often is a big factor for a lot of people. If it means nothing to you, fine - have fun. The food is OK, nothing special and again, is not a reason to return. Therefore, the not-bad prices are not enough to draw me back. I have found other places that I prefer. I wanted to give Alchemy a try to see what they had and in my view, they have nothing. You are free to hold your own opinion and since I won't be going back there, you should have plenty of seating. I expect that there will be plenty of seating there any time any one goes as I don't think it will ever get off the ground. My opinion, you are free to disagree with it; I don't really give a s__t if you do.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:54 am

My neighborhood is the Square/State St, so I didn't have much interest in Alchemy. But bleurose's posts have, perversely, made me want to give it a try.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:03 am

It's worth a try. It does have a nice beer list, I don't mind the decor....it's not like the previous decor was anything special either, and the food is good and reasonably priced. It's been busy on the Friday evenings I've visited.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”