Drove to Sonic Restaurant

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:21 pm

Made a few Sonic stops on trips to the family holler on the Cumberland plateau in Tennessee. Loved the Cranberry Slush and the Lime Slush. Cheesy Tots were kind of OK. The onion rings were a little off to my taste - batter was pretty sweet (literally, not figuratively), maybe even a hint of baking spices?

I have to make a plug for Captain D's seafood, though. Think they run laps around Long John Silver's, though if your thing is fry-doodles - you don't get a plateful of those. Prices are great and they have a wide selection of seafood and sides - incl. great hushpuppies and fried okra. Supposedly their salmon is 'wild alaskan' - though that might be as meaningful as labeling something organic these days.

Ashley
Forum Addict

My sonic review

Postby Ashley » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:54 pm

I work right across the street from Sonic so I have a good perspective of what's going on there. They STILL have traffic diversion for all the sonic customers which is crazy.

For those unfamiliar with Sonic... They have more than 10 drive in stalls and a drive through. THere is no restroom for customers nor an eating space inside. I suppose this is a good business model for them because they have to spend less money on the building, but man, this sucks in Wisconsin weather. I do not understand why people want to eat in their cars if possible!

I walked across the street and had to use a walkup ordering device like the drivethrough. So I had to wait outside for my order while it was cold, which really sucked.

Ordered a cheeseburger, cheese fries, and diet cherry limeade. Pretty unimpressed with all. The cheeseburger was not as good as Culver's (maybe healthier than the ButterBurger? Yeah I am kidding myself). The fries in the cheese fries were soggy. On the plus side they have half off many of the beverages from 2-4PM. They also have a small dollar menu.

culver's all the way!

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Re: My sonic review

Postby eriedasch » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:02 pm

Ashley wrote:THere is no restroom for customers

That seems rather odd. I wonder how the other businesses nearby with restrooms feel about that? Or do people just piss in the lot behind the dumpsters?

Ashley wrote:The cheeseburger was not as good as Culver's ...
culver's all the way!

That's not surprising.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Drove to Sonic Restaurant

Postby TAsunder » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:41 pm

According to their websites, the butterburger with cheese has 200 fewer calories than the sonic cheeseburger. 630 vs 421

The patties are both about 60g, but somehow sonic manages to add 70 more calories to the patty. Then the bun has 200 more calories than the culver's bun. Culver's cheese is real cheddar and has a lot more calories, though.

Yikes...

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:30 pm

I'm pretty sure there's a customer-access restroom along the back wall of the building, not the one facing University. I was parked right by it when I was there.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:39 am

sonic is a dump, and the amount of traffic it continues to get is hilarious and ridiculous. in a town chock full of mcdonalds, culvers, burger king, arby's, wendys, etc etc, the fact that people are waiting upwards of 45 minutes to get sub par fast food at this joint is kind of mindblowing.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:48 am

It will come to a crashing hault just as Krispie Kreme did. This is all media hype.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:16 am

depinmad wrote: sub par fast food

A scary description indeed.

brendya

Postby brendya » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:56 am

What type of restaurant would you want to own?
It's just in the planning stages- but I have a friend who wants me to prepare him a business plan for my best restaurant idea. This is fine with me, as I am a Chef, and this is what I do; however, I want to explore all ideas and options (i.e. locations, type of food, clientele, etc.) Any of your insight, restaurant dreams, favorite foods are much appreciated. Thanks!

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:59 am

Based purely on my own experiences in the last few years, the restaurants I visit most often are:

Locally oriented with a clear focus on using local ingredients whenever possible.

Simple food prepared well.

Quirky.

The Old Fashioned is the standard, I'd think. Is there something they're not doing well over there? I also visit the Weary a lot, which evidently isn't for everyone, but nails it for those it is for. And perhaps based on proximity, I get to the Great Dane a lot. Lately, I've been getting the Sustain-a-burger there, which is delicious.

The restaurant I go to once or twice a year and always wish I went more often is the Greenbush on Regent. We also recently tried Adler's on Watts Rd. which is not bad, if a bit less quirky than those above.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:26 am

That's so sweet, the way you answered that spambot's question. Spambots are people, too, I guess.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:17 am

Spambot -> Skynet -> Terminators -> Matrix

Jason is just preparing for the inevitable.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:29 am

I for one welcome our new spambot overlords.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:20 am

I'm nothing if not all about content generation.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:22 pm

brendya wrote:What type of restaurant would you want to own?
It's just in the planning stages- but I have a friend who wants me to prepare him a business plan for my best restaurant idea. This is fine with me, as I am a Chef, and this is what I do; however, I want to explore all ideas and options (i.e. locations, type of food, clientele, etc.) Any of your insight, restaurant dreams, favorite foods are much appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like an interesting topic deserving of a new thread.

Might get more legitimate replies instead of just those interested in trashing or praising Sonic.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”