Drove to Sonic Restaurant

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:28 am

Bring back Char-C's

Kovalic

Postby Kovalic » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:20 am

blunt wrote:Where's Long John Silvers?

The ghosts of Long John Silvers past still haunt me when I drive about town. The one on East Wash, in particular...

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:49 am

Driving back from church in Columbus, Indiana when I was a kid (1971-1976), we used to always pass the Long John Silvers', with its neon sign announcing "Now Frying."

I always think about that when I watch the one Simpsons episode where Bart and his Sunday School classmates learn about Hell.

Bart: Are there pirates in Hell, ma'am?

Sunday School Teacher: Yes - hundreds of them!

Bart: Coooool.

Zevulon the Great

Postby Zevulon the Great » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:09 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:
chleppr wrote:
And, drove to Marquette, MI to go to Big Boy. The strawberry pie is to die for.

God, what ever happened to all of the Marc's Big Boys that used to be around Wisconsin? I really miss the Slim Jim, that was my favorite thing on the menu.

There might still be a Big Boy in Menominee, MI. Giant revolving garçon statue and everything! That's not too far from Wisconsin.

I'm getting nostalgic thinking about all of bad food I consumed at certain chain restaurants that aren't as popular as they used to be...Big Boy, Ponderosa, A&W, Hardee's before they got bought out by Carl's Jr...

To think there was a time in my Northern redneck youth when I considered a Frisco Burger "gourmet".

Isn't there a Sonic in Janesville? The only fast food burger I'd drive hours to have is from Mickey-Lu's Bar-B-Q in Marinette, WI. Oh, mama......

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:05 pm

Whatever became of Embers? Not really fast food, but horrible horrible sit down food from my childhood...

Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:10 pm

juanton wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:What Madison really needs is a Beef a Roo!!

Damn straight.

As a native of that general area, I agree. A big cup of cheese fries with a touch of their seasoned salt sounds perfect right now.

Kovalic

Postby Kovalic » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:14 pm

Zevulon the Great wrote:Isn't there a Sonic in Janesville?

I thought so, too. But according to the Sonic web site locater, the closest ones are in Illinois and Iowa.

Perhaps there was one, but it closed...

d2drums

Postby d2drums » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:02 pm

My wife had to take a trip to Arkansas yesterday, and she says there is a Sonic on every corner. She tried it today and says it's heavenly. She also added she may only eat there until she leaves on Sunday....

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:36 pm

Sigh.
The lonely crumbling fake ship dock ruins, the thick rotting rope. Long John long gone.
Char-cees.
Used to be Har-dees but bought and spelled different.
I got it.
But everything was a dollar more.
So I started going down the block for Taco Johns.
Now it's A-crap-o-less.

HEY, WORLD: STOP CHANGING.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:56 pm

In Venezuela they have a chain called 'Tropi Burger'. I have a photo somewhere. They put a thin slice of ham on their hamburgers.

Isn't there still a Big Boy in West Allis?? We went there all the time. Near Hwy100?

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:21 pm

Paco wrote:
Isn't there still a Big Boy in West Allis?? We went there all the time. Near Hwy100?

I don't think so. I was craving a Slim Jim sandwich with fries and a side of gravy about a month ago and checked their website, the closest was Danville, IL.

chleppr

Postby chleppr » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:43 pm

blunt wrote:Sigh.
The lonely crumbling fake ship dock ruins, the thick rotting rope. Long John long gone.

There are Long John Slivers (spelled wrong on purpose, that is what we called it) all over in the South. They are not what they once were, but those Southerners really like that fried food. I don't think they change the oil very often and all of the food tastes the same. Dirty Pirate Whores!

This whole post makes me miss the Dog 'N Suds of my youth.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:19 am

Oh yeah? Well I drove to Brookfield last weekend for a Kopp's burger! Ok, well I was already in Oconomowoc so it was only a 20 minute drive...

lifelongmadison
Forum Addict

Postby lifelongmadison » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:09 pm

When I was a young 'un, graduating from the Vitense putt putt at 11 to their 'drive a bucket then go for the par three' antics, there was a place called Mars 'build your own burger' where the Kopper Top is... 35cents and a salad bar set up that with daring and creativness made your burger look like the leaning tower of piza. Very yummy especially after enduring pop's 'tartare with a char' served on white bread with your choice of ketchup or... ketchup. As for burger joints, the wife to be and I loved to stop at the car hop A&W in Spring Green for frosty mugs, messy cheeseburgers and decadent onion rings after scouting out new and old 'nookie nooks'... We only eat like that on a few occasions a year now, but we still call 'em 'nookie burgers'...

Das Binky

Postby Das Binky » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:25 pm

meowzamusic wrote:Whatever became of Embers? Not really fast food, but horrible horrible sit down food from my childhood...

It's still there, in some creepy time capsule straight out of the Institute of Official Cheer.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”