NICK'S HOME OF GOOD FOOD

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Re: NICK'S HOME OF GOOD FOOD

Postby dave esmond » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:50 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Ok, so what is the deal with Miracle Whip making mayo-enjoying people gag? I've also heard this from people outside the forum, and it makes no sense at all to me.

It's just one more sauce/condiment to me. I actually like it better then mayo tho'.

I like Nick's a lot. It's not the best, but it's got the whole package. Good to very good food, good service and I like the setting. They do "diner food" pretty well.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:56 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Ok, so what is the deal with Miracle Whip making mayo-enjoying people gag? I've also heard this from people outside the forum, and it makes no sense at all to me. Maybe it's a poor substitution for mayo, depending on your tastes, but literally can't eat it?

The last time I got Miracle Whipped was with a chicken salad sandwich I bought at Miller's in Verona. I didn't discover it until I'd returned to work, and there wasn't time to go back for something else. I was really hungry so I went ahead and tried to eat it. About halfway through I actually threw up in my mouth.

I don't really "enjoy" mayonnaise and I don't use it on many things, but my abhorrence of Miracle Whip knows no bounds.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:59 pm

Miracle Whip is, hands down, my least favorite foodstuff, and should never be confused with wonderful mayo. I couldn't stand to eat a freakin' sandwich my freshman year in the dorms, since they only carried the Devil's Condiment.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:19 pm

O.J. wrote:Miracle Whip is, hands down, my least favorite foodstuff, and should never be confused with wonderful mayo. I couldn't stand to eat a freakin' sandwich my freshman year in the dorms, since they only carried the Devil's Condiment.

Exactly. I don't know what the 'miracle' is in the 'whip', but it literally makes me gag. There is no scraping it off, or covering it with ketchup, it is an all-powerful miracle and its noxious presence dominates the entire sandwich or whatever it has been put in or on. The only other option was a dry sandwich or butter, and neither was appetizing to me or my son. Cheap ketchup doesn't bother me. Miracle Whip literally renders food inedible.

What I don't understand is having no mayo at all on the premises in a sandwich and burger joint. Mayo is normally the default, not MW.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Violet_Skye wrote:What I don't understand is having no mayo at all on the premises in a sandwich and burger joint. Mayo is normally the default, not MW.

Depends on where you live/dine. I grew up in northern Illinois going to burger places who used nothing but MW. I HATE mayo on a burger. So yeah, having both is probably a good idea. But I wouldn't call either the default.

It does seem they've tinkered with the recipe within the last few years.

http://deanesmay.com/2009/04/09/give-us ... acle-whip/

Can't say I've noticed, but it's not like I use it very much to start with. Leftover turkey sandwich is about the only place I really need it these days.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:49 pm

Miracle Whip ran an ad in last week's Onion regarding this:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/ ... 7052.story

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:45 pm

TRY THE PIE!!!
Made by their Mom.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:58 am

Violet_Skye wrote:The only other option was a dry sandwich or butter, and neither was appetizing to me or my son.

Another option was any item on the menu that didn't rely on mayo.

Butter is infinitely better on a sandwich than mayo or MW, IMO, but since I'm an MW hater, I understand that you might not've wanted that. But to walk out on Nick's just because you couldn't get mayo? Let me guess: you weren't holding out for homemade. You walked away because they didn't have prefab mayo. Sheesh.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:40 am

Count me as another one who can't stand the taste of MW but can tolerate a little mayo. MW has a strange sweet taste that makes me gag.

kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby kittenwithawhip » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:28 pm

http://www.neatorama.com/2006/12/22/wha ... ayonnaise/
Really, Beano, as someone who is always saying he doesn't like sugary things I'd think you would get the difference. Waaaayy too much sugar in MW. It makes me yak too.
A friend once made a T-day cranberry sauce with MW and horseradish, I had to make a gracious but speedy exit from her party and spent the rest of the evening yakking it all up. And it was my birthday, so I will never forgive MW.

And there is nothing so yummy as a good homemade mayonnaise.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:19 pm

kittenwithawhip wrote:cranberry sauce with MW and horseradish

That sounds like it'd be disgusting with mayonnaise, Hollandaise, Bearnaise, or LSD. Hardly seems like Miracle Whip's fault that you barfed it up.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:21 pm

Somewhat off-topic, but when I hover my cursor over the Back button in my browser the message reads 'NICK'S HOME OF GOO.'

Actually - given that we're debating the loathesomeness of certain commercial lipid-spreads, perhaps not so off-topic after all.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:24 pm

PS - One of my favorite Madison dining experiences is kicking back in one of the booths at Nick's with the pork chop dinner and a whiskey old-fashioned, sweet.

It's not fine cuisine by any stretch of the imagination, but I dig it.

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:25 pm

All the soup is home made.
Speaking of mayonnaise, True Story and don't shoot the messenger. I knew of a chef who would make women who were on their period, leave the kitchen when he was making his mayo.
http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/menses.asp
Read down or Ctrl F to mayonnaise.
WTF?

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:40 pm

How did this go so off-topic about Miracle Whip?

All I really wanted to do was bring up how Christine is such a breath-taking stunner.

Focus, people, focus.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”