Good Eats@Vientienne Palace

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
cubanat
Forum Addict

Good Eats@Vientienne Palace

Postby cubanat » Wed May 16, 2007 12:01 pm

Lets hope this knocks the sushi talk down the list. This place was shockingly tasty. Spring roll was burtsing with fresh ingerdients and a light dipping sauce -not thick & pasty like others in town but just peanuts and I think some type of vinegar/mirin type of liquid. The stuffed beancurd was basic & simple--stir in some chili paste to the sweet-n-sour sauce that they give and it's a better dip. The pork squash curry was outstanding. Medium spice was just that- not too hot not bland/weak as hell. The first time we went in the place seemed so stale and nasty we walked out. I gave it another try on a friend's insistence and was blown away by how good the food was, how decent the service was & at how reasonable the prices are. Worth a visit for sure if you like Asian foods.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 16, 2007 1:38 pm

This place is a block from me or so, so I used to go often when I first moved downtown. I like their squash curry as well. As well as the spicy dish and the pad thai. The sweet and sour is a fun dish if you order it hot. I normally only order with tofu because I am not fond of the mixture of white and dark chicken meat (which would normally be my meat of choice). A friend of mine and one of my coworkers both get the khua mee there and like it.

The vientiane on park street is similarly good. From what I can gather, both locations have a downside...

At the gorham one (palace), there is this one lady, possibly the owner or wife of the owner, who may have been lobotomized. She seems rude to many people. Very cold towards customers. The food still arrives on time and everything, but it feels like she is mad at me each time I go in. I may have gotten her to crack a smile once or twice maybe. I think she has a sister or some relative who sometimes is there that is much nicer.

The one on park has an uneven spice issue. Sometimes you order the same dish at the same spice level on a different day and it will be way too mild.

Both places tend to use a lot of oil in their food. I mean a LOT. Not good for the health conscious, but good for the taste conscious.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Wed May 16, 2007 2:05 pm

Their tom yum and tom kha soups = damn tasty hangover relief, FWIW. Now if only I could find some menudo within walking distance...

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Wed May 16, 2007 4:00 pm

I went to the one on Park St. I didn't even realize there is another location. Thanks.

Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby Frank Booth » Wed May 16, 2007 10:21 pm

The one on Gorham is probably my favorite Madison restaurant. The service and decor aren't much to speak of, but the food tastes damn good, and a $8 entree fills me up there with leftovers.

The pad thai, the spicy plate, the curry with potatoes (maybe that is the spicy plate), and the wide noodle are my stand-bys. Three stars used to be the kind of heat that I had to take a break, but it seems they've mellowed and now four stars is the place to be.

I second the hangover food comment. The heat gets everything jumping, and forces you to drink lots of water to try and cool the palette.

DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby DMeister » Thu May 17, 2007 3:31 pm

I usually get a #22 at 2 spicy and the most auspicious sounding beer I can find, usually flying horse or tiger.

Even just at 2 spicy, it's a sweat-filled, psychadelic journey for me. I usually end up talking to the plastic girls tacked on the wall. They look like grip tape for a shower or something. . .

Is it just me, or is this place especially spicy?

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu May 17, 2007 3:55 pm

DMeister wrote:Is it just me, or is this place especially spicy?

Yes, you definitely do not want to order 3 stars thinking it will be the same as at bandung or certain thai places.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 17, 2007 4:01 pm

Frank Booth wrote:The heat gets everything jumping, and forces you to drink lots of water to try and cool the palette.

Which is, of course, a losing venture, but that's a subject for another thread.

This is one of those places I've always wanted to try, but both locations lie on the dreaded commute route. I'm always buzzing past 'em, and it's hard to make it back there on a non-work day.

But I shall redouble my efforts upon reading these positive comments!

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu May 17, 2007 4:09 pm

I believe the park street location delivers, or at least used to.

Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby Frank Booth » Thu May 17, 2007 5:42 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Which is, of course, a losing venture, but that's a subject for another thread.

Oh, I know it just spreads the heat around, but if you are hungover any excuse to drink a lot of water is a good one.

I agree about the location, I've always biked there but parking a car is kind of tricky. I wish there was a thread around here where I could further verbalize my pro-biking stance!

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu May 17, 2007 6:13 pm

Service, however can be a problem. Went to the Park street one for a Friday lunch and ended up being absent from work for an hour and a half - not good. The waiter guy seemed to have no awareness at all that people might actually want their fucking check or anythong else for that matter.

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Fri May 18, 2007 7:58 am

DMeister wrote:Is it just me, or is this place especially spicy?

I typically get 4 stars, and there are times when that's approaching inedible. Sometimes 4 stars seems more like 3 stars, other times it's crazy hot.

A group of coworkers went once, including a coworker from N.O. She ordered 4 stars, and didn't think it was hot at all compared to what she was used to.

I've heard the "too hot to eat" etouffee at NOTO is some of the spiciest food in Madison, but the Palace is about as hot as I care to go.

supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Mon May 21, 2007 8:07 pm

TAsunder wrote:
At the gorham one (palace), there is this one lady, possibly the owner or wife of the owner, who may have been lobotomized. She seems rude to many people. Very cold towards customers. The food still arrives on time and everything, but it feels like she is mad at me each time I go in. I may have gotten her to crack a smile once or twice maybe. I think she has a sister or some relative who sometimes is there that is much nicer.

Ha, I love that woman. Something about that surly character that gives the place some attitude. The only time I ever see anything break that stone-faced service is a baby. She'll smile for a cute lil baby.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue May 22, 2007 10:38 am

Super8nate: Ha, I love that woman. Something about that surly character that gives the place some attitude. The only time I ever see anything break that stone-faced service is a baby. She'll smile for a cute lil baby

Perhaps there is a gritty, masochistic appreciation that exists for tough, no-nonsense service. Or do people just kind of enjoy the challenge of negotiating it?

Definitly a point in favor of kids: they are sometimes a passport in where there wouldn't be one otherwise.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”