Takumi Japanese Restaurant (East Towne)

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
cubanat
Forum Addict

Re: national borders on the Asian continent....

Postby cubanat » Fri May 11, 2007 10:56 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
kulgar wrote:Misread and misinterpret at your leisure...

Well, I can read just fine, and my interpretation is that you're a dick. You, on the other hand, seem to have no understanding of what I'm trying to say. When I write "the (sometimes subtle) differences," that phrase is specifically constructed to indicate that 1) there are differences, and 2) they are sometimes subtle. Implied in that statement is that others are in no way subtle.

I read Shusako Endo's Silence and took a course on feudal Japanese history. You spent four years in Japan. Congratulations. Not everyone can do that, and I'm sure it was fun. But it sure didn't do any wonders for your personality. My experience at least allows me to have an awareness of all the shit you just posted, although I could have gotten it from Wikipedia too.

Once again bookpolice--right on the head. Kulgore work on your personality dude. And TAsunder, yeah man Muramoto is a touch better. The food that is. They should hire some of Takumis staff to work at Muramoto. That would be a great resto. You have to love this Asian fusion shit don't ya'.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Re: you get what you pay for

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri May 11, 2007 11:18 am

kulgar wrote:Remember that Chili's was perfect Madison Mexican for so long.....

Well, there you go. You clearly don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Anyone who's ever suggested such a thing is almost as big a deluded jackass as you are.

Yeah, we get it. None of us is as "wordly" [sic] as you.

And while I've yet to eat there, I seriously challenge your claim that sushi at Hilldale Muramoto is "as good as any you will find anywhere in the world." Unless you've eaten sushi at every world-class establishment in every country in the world, you have no basis for making such a claim. But then again, given your obvious character flaws, I suspect you spout ignorant bullshit like this every chance you get.

Christ, but you must be a bore to dine with.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri May 11, 2007 1:42 pm

Does anyone remember the SNL skit with Fred Armisen, where he just talks on and on and on and on and never stops, oblivious to the fact that other people are leaving in the middle of his dialogue, unaware perhaps that they even exist? Something is making me think of that guy right now. Wish I could find a video clip...

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri May 11, 2007 2:20 pm

That SNL thing was one of their digital shorts. I liked it quite a bit.

The service a muramoto was great until a lot of people started showing up. They need more staff and some sort of system to allow sushi orders to be prepared in a timely fashion when busy. I've had the same problem with sushi at ginza - it taking a long time because there's only one guy working the counter, I mean.

kulgar
Forum Addict

gomen nasai, gomen nasai

Postby kulgar » Tue May 15, 2007 11:37 am

I really mis-spoke on that Chili's reference, I of course meant Chi-Chi's. Let the pirahna attack.

After Paco's closed on State St in '76 or so, Chi-Chi's was considered by a large segment of the Madison population to serve "Mexican" food. I didn't consider it to be Mexican and don't really care if you did or not, but for large numbers of people it was their first experience with sit down Mexican inspired (poor choice of adjective) food. My point is that an uneducated, inexperienced populace (through little to no fault of their own, it's our isolationist culture and corporate dominated food production and distribution system in the US) isn't equipped to judge a foreign cuisine based upon adapted versions in a college cow town. The huge student population has had a large effect on Madison food over the years, cheap is a requirement, and that usually means lots of rice and low end or mid-range ingredients in much of our local "Japanese" cuisine.

But no matter where you go, experiment and enjoy it. We may be the last generation to have such a large selection of seafood available to us.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: gomen nasai, gomen nasai

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 15, 2007 12:19 pm

Chi-Chi's is no more authentic Mexican than Chili's is. And the fact that some uninformed or incurious people think it is, is no reason to indict the entire city's ability to appreciate a higher level of authenticity than that.

It doesn't really matter. It's ultimately an opinion issue. You feel one way, most of us feel another. However, thank you for ending your comment this way, and I'm going to quote it so it gets repeated:

kulgar wrote:We may be the last generation to have such a large selection of seafood available to us.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Tue May 15, 2007 2:17 pm

[quote="kulgar"] The huge student population has had a large effect on Madison food over the years, cheap is a requirement, and that usually means lots of rice and low end or mid-range ingredients in much of our local "Japanese" cuisine.[quote]

Wasabi was for a very long time the only good choice for sushi in this "college cow town" as you put it. The owner I believe hired Shinji Muramoto years ago. This should be mentioned when discussing sushi in Madison. It has always been expensive and most would say worth it. Now that there is a lot more competition lets not forget the way it used to be.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 15, 2007 2:41 pm

kulgar wrote: ... and that usually means lots of rice and low end or mid-range ingredients in much of our local "Japanese" cuisine.

So order the fucking sashimi, "genius."

Damn. For somebody who clearly knows everything about everything you sure are a clueless fucktard.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue May 15, 2007 3:55 pm

Does takumi offer all of its nigiri as sashimi?

kulgar
Forum Addict

Wasabi, good point but bright red tuna

Postby kulgar » Wed May 16, 2007 10:00 am

You are correct that Wasabi hired Shinji Muramoto long ago and was for a long time the only sushi game in town. It was certainly better on average that State St Takara which serves the high rice content, low protein content "five for a dollar" style student sushi roll. I like the venue up above State St with a great view if you get a window seat.

But a couple years ago they started serving "carbon monoxide" tuna and arguing that it wasn't. Any time you see bright red tuna possibly with a mealy, old texture and no taste, it's been stepped on in a carbon monoxide bath. The carbon monoxide prevents it from EVER turning brown so it can be buried in your back yard like kimchee and apparently won't ever rot. It won't be any good to eat but it'll still be bright red. I once saw similar color tuna served in Japan and no one would touch it except the foreigners.

I believe the US government has recently approved the carbon monoxide bath for beef and pork at the urging of the corporate food industry. The bright red color reduces waste in the food chain but it also allows retailers to keep meat or tuna forever and sell them long after nature has declared the substance unfit for human consumption. Watch for it in your supermarket, the bright red color is gross and the process makes it impossible to tell fresh from old meat.

I gave up on Wasabi at that point, switched to Edo Park St., and don't know if they have seen the light on carbon mono tuna and stopped using it, but will give them a try again some fine summer day when I'm wandering the Street.

I am certainly dismayed at the pre-adolescent level of argument that several posters have displayed. Use your brain, not your limbic system when reading, thinking and writing....

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Wasabi, good point but bright red tuna

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 16, 2007 10:04 am

kulgar wrote:the bright red color is gross and the process makes it impossible to tell fresh from old meat.

So is it easily noticeable due to the shade of red, or is it impossible to tell the difference?

(not dismissing the criticism of the technique, but you're not really making sense with the paired statements above)

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Wed May 16, 2007 10:33 am

He of world sushi dominance chose a mid-level Chinese run sushi resto over Wasabi? Edo on Park pales in comparison to it's sister over on Monona Dr. Even I, a person that wraps bacon around my spicey crunchy scallop roll knows that! Duh. And Wasabi having a great view? Are you inhaling the carbon monoxide?

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 16, 2007 11:25 am

Wasabi does have a nice view compared to takara, ginza, both edos (or is it 3 edos now), and muramoto. Though the interior decor leaves much to be desired, excluding t-shirted hotties.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Wed May 16, 2007 12:35 pm

Well, sort of back on topic... Stopped by Takumi a couple weekends ago while my folks were in town. Not that I really do reviews like any of the quasi-hardcore foodies here, but I figured I'd throw my $0.02 in here. First off, we were out on the east side, trying to figure out what to do for dinner, when I remembered this thread - I wouldn't have known about the place if it weren't for this thread - so yay Forum :)

It was around 8pm on a Saturday or Sunday, not too crowded, no wait. The tv was blaring, but it was 7th Heaven, so I didn't mind so much. I fucking love that show :lol: For some reason people think my father's Japanese, but we're all Filipino, so while our waiter first tried chatting him up in Japanese, it was an amusing surprise for him to toss a few cursory Tagalog snippets our way.

The gyoza was pretty good, but I think I still prefer Edo's. Well, actually, I prefer my parent's gyoza, but that's a different story. I did definitely dig the tuna tataki. The actual meal was pretty much in line with other people's positive reviews here. The nigiri was fuckin' buttery smooth, and definitely killed the other Japanese places in town as far as presentation goes. Beautiful spread. The maki rolls were good too, far better than what my lazy sort-of-college-age ass is used to.

Overall, a classy joint with friendly staff and good eats. I hope they do well, or at least stay open long enough for me to satisfy my curiosity about the Kobe beef.

Damnit, now I'm hungry and I don't have $55 to drop on some bomb cow. :?

As an aside, does anybody know if any places around town have genuine wasabi available? I've never really asked around, but I'd like to try my sushi with the real deal sometime instead of the green-colored horseradish/mustard mix that we've all come to accept as the norm.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 16, 2007 1:43 pm

Sushi Muramoto sells what I assume is homemade wasabi by the ounce. I think it's $5/oz. The wasabi they serve, which is green indeed I believe, did have a slightly different flavor to it.

What sort of kobe dishes does takumi have? An actual full-sized steak?? Sushi M has a kobe sashimi/nigiri that I wanted to try, but a whole steak would be even better. I need to decide now whether to name my kid Kobe, before it's too late and I actually have one.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”