Maharani

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Maharani

Postby NullDevice » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:07 pm

So, anyone actually been there?

RK's review in last week's issue left me knowing slightly less about the place than before I read it. Now I want to know if they have an actual Mango Milkshake, or if that's just Ralph's shorthand for the Indian-restaurant-standard mango lassi. do they call what sure sounds like "chicken tikka masala" plain old "chicken tikka", or is that another Kadushin shorthand? Is their menu any different from any of the other indian joints in town?

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:20 pm

As usual, Kadushin factored in visual elements which for most people don't matter as much as what is on the plate. To this end, Maharani is a success. Also, having an Indian restaurant representing food from two demographic regions (north and south) is great. It is also nice to have a menu which is not a replica of every other Indian menu in Madison. Haven't had the lunch buffet yet, but if the quality of their dinner is any indication, this the sleeper deal of the isthmus area @ $7.95.

Crow
Forum Addict

Postby Crow » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:27 pm

I was there for the lunch buffet a week or two ago, and it struck me as exactly the same as Maharaja... so much so that I assumed that both are owned by the same folks. Am I wrong?

Sugar

Postby Sugar » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:53 pm

This place is really good. I ate there last night.
Food was really tasty and service was good. They had a pretty good crowd for a Sunday night. It was the best Indian food I have had anywhere in town in the last few years.

doddles
Forum Addict

Postby doddles » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:43 pm

Agreed. I've eaten dinner there twice. Once mainly meat dishes, the other time all vegetarian. Excellent food both times, with flavours you can't get in any other Indian restaurant I've been to in Madison. In fact, it's the only Indian I've had here that reminds me of the great Indian I've had n th UK. Recommended.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:43 pm

We ate there Saturday. Yes, a mango milkshake was on the menu and so was Lassi, but we ordered neither. There are South Indian specialties that set it apart from most other Indian joints. I don't remember the names of the dishes, but my wife had a giant pancake-like-thing that had veggies and paneer (A firm indian cheese) cooked into it, while our friend had a similarly huge crepe filled with mildy curried potatos. Both dishes came with a side of coconut sauce and something spicier.

Us guys were much less adventurous-we both ordered spicy curried lamb dishes. Rogan Josh is a creamy tomato based sauce and the Sag is made with lots of spinach and Ghee (Clarified butter). I would rate them both at least better than average. Dinner for 4 was $67-thats pretty good considering 4 teas, a couple of deserts and appeteasers that we shared...

Don't know what to say about the critic. I don't read his invective filled rants too much anymore-Too hard too please IMO...People with impossibly high standards get on my nerves-get over it already!
Little Madison is lucky to have this restarant.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:56 pm

Dosa, from the sound of it, if you're talking the very flat, thin lentil-flour pancake filled with...something (varies from dosa to dosa). Or possibly iddli, which is a small patty-like thing (usually).

That shouldn't be *too* unusual - both Maharajas and India Darbar serve those.

I *think* Maharani is owned by a relative or friend of the Mahraja people. The "Maharaja market" that was next door to the west side location is now called the "Maharani Market" so my guess is there's some relation there.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:59 pm

I ate there awhile ago and was very impressed. Easily the best Indian meal I've had in Madison. The service was excellent. Looking forward to going again.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:10 pm

Nulldevice Wrote:
That shouldn't be *too* unusual - both Maharajas and India Darbar serve those

Yeah, "Dosa" sounds right, Large not little. Probably not that exotic, but new to me-I just tend to order the same-o same-o, which in this case is Lamb Sag...

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:58 pm

Pancake could also be uthupum.

I like Maharani but it is definitely nearly identical to darbar and maharaja. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Definitely a step up from taj or taste of india in my opinion.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:28 pm

NullDevice wrote:I *think* Maharani is owned by a relative or friend of the Mahraja people. The "Maharaja market" that was next door to the west side location is now called the "Maharani Market" so my guess is there's some relation there.

They are both owned by the exact same owners.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:16 pm

Ahh, that would epxlain it.

I wonder why they didn't just call it another "Maharaja" then?

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:03 pm

NullDevice wrote:Ahh, that would epxlain it.

I wonder why they didn't just call it another "Maharaja" then?

Maharaji is Hindi for "West side."
The -ini suffix means "downtown in cursed location."

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:45 pm

Maharani store is owned by the same people as the restaurant, which is the same family but not the exact same owners as maharaja... at least that is the word on the street, or in the cubicle, here.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:34 pm

Oop: my bad.
Maharani and Swagat are the same owners............

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”