Taqueria Morelos on park st.

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Taqueria Morelos on park st.

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:22 pm

Definitely my favorite of the multiple new mexican places. I've been there three times and I always get mole dishes, always great, friends all liked their food. That's my review, I highly recommend it. It's on the block just south of lakeside st. I think it used to be american lunch or something like that. Don't go with a big group, kinda limited seating.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:08 pm

Just prior to its latest incarnation, it was Val's, serving down home Southern cooking. I ate there a couple time and enjoyed my lunches. Glad you like the new place. I love good mole, so I'll be there soon.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:15 pm

Awesome, thanks. I need a mole outlet in town.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:47 am

AND they serve breakfast. Damn fine breakfast.

I love the smell of salsa in the morning ...

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:27 am

I had lunch here on Wed. afternnon. It was glorious. To say there are ten seats might be pushing it. I got the last seat at the front table for two and it was 2 pm. I had the beef cheek taco, the seasoned pork sopes, a chile relleno, horchata, and atole. Yes, it was a lot of food and I ate every last bite including half of the chip basket and all of the rice and beans which I rarely eat. The taco was fresh and tasty even though the beef cheeks were a bit "offal" for my tastes, the pork sopa thing was amazing in its simplicity and freshness. The chile relleno was the bomb. The rice and beans were also top notch. The chips were good but I'm not sure if they make them. The regular salsa was ok but could be spicier. The chile relleno came with a real spicy salsa that was great especially with the basket of corn tortillas that also came out with it. The horchata was not as good as la concha's or antojitoes el toril but was ok (and therefore better than haciendas). The atole which they call something else on the menu but was billed as atole was thick, creamy, and chocolatey. All for $15! Service was friendly, decor was retro diner counter mixed with Chivas soccer jerseys (local team from Mexico). All in all another great Mexican place that just popped up thank the lord. Two fantastic places in the Monona area (Peloyas & Antojtoes el toril), a few on Park (all except hacienda) and the big papi of them all (so far) La Frickin' Concha. I guess I'll have to ty the tortas here on my next visit.

towanda
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:17 am

Do they put lard in their beans?

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:01 am

They tasted as though they did because they were SO GOOD!
Last edited by cubanat on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

statz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby statz » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:50 pm

I had carry out there a few weeks ago. Definitely makes my top 3 list in town.
They need to work on the beef cheeks, they were more chewy than they should be. Beef cheeks need to be slow cooked several hours with garlic and chilies. They will be more chewy than most cuts of beef being what they are but the flavor is better this way.
This place would be my favorite if they did goat, I think it would fit well with their menu.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:41 pm

Finally went there this weekend.

They have EXCELLENT posole as a weekend special. And lots of it.

rumrunner

Postby rumrunner » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:35 pm

Anyone try the mole??

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:57 pm

"BEEF CHEEKS"?????

Yuck.

Do they have any non-meat items there??? So far, the items described have sounded pretty meat-heavy.

garmonbozia

Postby garmonbozia » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:29 pm

rumrunner wrote:Anyone try the mole??

Yep. I had the mole-enchilada. It was OK. The sauce was good, but they put little on the thing. I prefer more sauce, I like it saucy. However, corn tortillas just out of the griddle were awesome. I think I ate 3 of them with my beans. Beware though, my friend who is on the timid side complained about the tortilla smell on his clothes all day. I thought it was awesome. It is a small place and you kind of absorb all the delicious smells.

BEEF CHEEKS"?????

Yuck.

Do they have any non-meat items there??? So far, the items described have sounded pretty meat-heavy.

It is a frigging Taqueria. Of course the food will be meat heavy. Veggie-Mexican is an oxymoron. Even if you order non-meat stuff there will be lotsa lard in the beans. I am a pro-vegetarian and I never mean to start a veggie-meat eater war and I am sorry that this might sound rude but if you are looking for non-meat food a Taqueria is not the best place for you. Most South-Eastern Asian food influenced by buddhism is vegeterian friendly and equally complex.

And for the record, I think cheeks are awesome, though I don't think I can eat them every day. So as tripe, intestines, testicles, tongue and all other "nasty bits". I grew up in a country where it was an abomination to waste a part of the animal. We didn't grow chickens just to eat their breasts. We ate the whole thing so it was worth killing a living being.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:28 am

well said g.

Rosemary
Forum Addict

Postby Rosemary » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:25 am

cubanat wrote:The atole which they call something else on the menu but was billed as atole was thick, creamy, and chocolatey.

It wasn't called champurrado, was it?

cubanat wrote:All for $15!

Stunning. I love Mexican food, and your notes make it sound like the kind of place where I open the menu and say, "I want one of everything."

Garmon mentioned the scent of tortillas hanging on one's clothes. I know it's a personal thing, but my gosh... I'd be awfully glad to come out of there with that aroma. Masa -- raw, cooked, toasted, whatever -- is one of my favorite scents ever. A friend and I were rolling these wee little Mexican dumplings called chochoyotes on Monday. You bet I ate a bit raw. Gently cooked in a tomato-serrano chile-wild mushroom sauce (with veal shanks!), they were out of this world.

... damn it. Now I'm hungry!

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:12 am

Is this the place where American Lunch used to be? Does anyone know their hours, I'd love to check it out.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”