Your last five restaurants

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Mon May 01, 2006 9:29 am

1. Abuelo's (where else? Been there about six times in the past 3 weeks.)

2. Eno Vino

3. Continental Cafe

4. Greenbush (I'm still missing The Wild Iris)

5. Shish Cafe

Postby barreg » Tue May 02, 2006 12:18 pm

Macaroni Grill- Yeah, it's a chain, but it's usually reliably decent food. I always get the Arribiata sauce.

Blue Moon - Mmm, Bleu Burger with grilled onions with fries

Chin's - Another chain, but really flavorful sauces. I like the Shanhai Sesame and Sichaun sauces, but holy crap is the Sichaun sauce spicy.

Laredo's - Fast, kid friendly, and better than a lot of other Madison Mexican restaurants. (haven't tried Abuelo's yet, but that's on my to-do list).

Bluephie's - Loved my meal the first time there (scallop pops), but my second dinner there was just so-so.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed May 03, 2006 2:29 pm

David's Jamaican - jerk pork. I'm glad some things never change. Looking to try their friday buffet next time.

JT Whitney's - friday fish fry. Not the best fry in town, but respectable. I like their (homemade?) tarter and beer fries.

Geno's Italian Deli (Middleton) - I get subs for lunch at least once a week. Normally the #8 Sicilian on asiago garlic bread. Pastrami and Italian beef are very good as well.

Benvenuto's (east) - good, consistant, and reasonably priced for what you get. I usually get baked pasta w/ sausage and/or meatballs. G/F always gets the salmon. Dinner salads are huge with many fresh veggies and homemade croutons. Even the homemade bread they give you with olive oil is always warm and fresh. Combine that with relatively cheap drink prices (big taps of beer or $15-16 bottles of wine) and it has quickly become one of our favorite places for semi-fine dining without breaking the bank.

Village Green (Middleton) - another lunch staple. Thursday is roadkill burrito. Whomever asked for it to be more spicy, ask the waitstaff (and be careful what you wish for). They have a vast array of hot sauces they will bring out on request. Just about every container has a bottle of Dave's Insanity, and they even have one featuring all the Dave's flavors. Other good days/specials: Tues - sloppy joes, Wed - Italian beef.

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Wed May 03, 2006 4:43 pm

The Nortons' Restaurant, Bay City WI - Owned by Husker Du bassist Greg Norton and his wife Sarah, this is a wonderful little place in the middle of nowhere.

Wendy's, Rochester, MN - Gettin' mighty tired of the road.

California Pizza Kitchen, Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport, MN - Still on the road.

Burger King, McCarran International Airport, Las Vegas, NV - On the road.

Lotus of Siam, Las Vegas, NV - Among my five favorite restaurants on earth!

Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict

Re: Your last five restaurants

Postby Cory Schmidt » Tue May 09, 2006 6:21 pm

Roman Candle - Cheese bread, one slice of pepperoni/onion/pineapple and half slice of tomato/mushroom/spinach. Two Spotted Cows

Monty's - Mushroom pesto omelette

Monty's - Mushroom pesto omelette

Q-Doba - steak burrito/pinto beans/corn salsa/cheese and sour cream, chips and salsa. One Spotted Cow

Whole Foods - spicy tuna and avocado sushi, watrmelon Izze, half og a garbage cookie

Forum Addict

Postby doddles » Wed May 10, 2006 4:03 pm

La Rocca's: pizza and beer
l'Etoile: small, square Tuna steaks
Magnus: pan seared Alaskan Halibut - delicious!
Avenue Bar: Fish fry and beer
China Palace: duck, chicken, fish, lamb. Went with a group of friends and ate far too much. But boy was it good!

For quality/price, I'm convinced that China Palace is the best restaurant in Madison.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Wed May 10, 2006 4:13 pm

One of you China Palace regulars should print related posts and take them along next time you go so that they know how widely they are appreciated. I mean to go sometime but they are so on the wrong side of town for me. Are they open for lunch?

Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Thu May 11, 2006 8:01 am

Yes, they have a lunch buffet or you can order off the menu. Have been to the buffet at least six times. Small quantities of food in the steamtables so it's replenished often.
$5.95 includes a beverage

Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Thu May 11, 2006 3:13 pm

msnflyer wrote:Have been to the buffet at least six times.

In one visit? :D

Thanks for the info. Must go!

Postby foodstuff » Thu May 11, 2006 4:56 pm

1) Famous Daves. Good place to take the kids, and I do like their ribs and pulled pork (even if it isn't slow smoked the way the purests would like it).

2) Ians. $3 a slice. I had the philly cheesesteak and guac burrito slices. Very good crust, and I like the unusual toppings.

3) Cocoliquot. Mussels and fries (excuse me...Moules Frites). Very large portion for $9 (at lunch) and it came with a white bean salad as well.

4) Orpheum. Again, for lunch. The blackened shrimp po-boy w/fries. Different from New Orleans Takeout, but very good in it's own right.

5) Rocky's. What can I say, I got kids (although I do have a soft spot from my college days, ordering the garden of eatin slice at the old state street location).

Postby granolagirl » Thu May 11, 2006 5:00 pm

The Great Dane
Cafe Soleil
Original Pancake House

Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu May 11, 2006 5:39 pm

Didn't know cocoliquot serves lunch! Do they do takeout? I discovered to my dismay that blue marlin does not do lunch takeout...

Forum Addict

Postby Rachelz » Sat May 13, 2006 7:13 pm

K - til I have my own kitchen...

Casbah - Got the goop platter with pita and the feta with olives platter while we were enjoying a cigar at Maduros. The goop platter was awesome, as was the other platter, although the green olives tasted particularly weird.

Muramotos - Awesome. We literally got almost everything on the menu (taking friends from out of town) and were completely amazed at the final bill (with 2 flights of saki). The duck rolls are as good as they say, as well as the strawberry spring rolls with ginger ice cream (and I hate desserts), but all of the food and service were top notch. I will so be going back.

Greenbush - I waited two years to come back here to try their calamari (which was sold out the first time we went there). The antipasta platter? Awesome. The pizza? Great. The calamari - Yeach! Why is this so highly praised? I was slightly embarrassed that my husband knew I was looking forward to it so much. Is the breading mixed with oatmeal?

Kitchen Hearth - For someone who eats a lot of salads, this is a great place to grab a (IMO) high hugh quality salad (their tuna nicoise is great!) for a really low price downtown ($4.50) for a working lunch.

Crowne Plaza - Yech. The first conference lunch there was great. A carved out pineapple with a chicken salad. Although not filling, it was good. This last week? Bad pasta. At least throw some salt in there for flavoring. Not saying I didn't eat my share. Just that their pineapple salad set me up for disappointment.

Tony & Marie's Pizza (Janesville) - Since we don't live in Madison yet, on a Saturday night we are drunkenly waiting for our favorite pizza. And honestly, it is incredible.

Forum Addict

Postby curiouslystrong » Mon May 15, 2006 11:21 am

- Old Fashioned
- Original Pancake House
- Old Fashioned - this time for lunch
- Lombardino's
- Kipp's

madtown wino

Postby madtown wino » Sun May 28, 2006 12:03 pm

1. Fresco... loved it, loved it, loved it! (see post)
2. Marigold- Saturday brunch before the farmer's market crowd hit. Nothing better than fresh squeezed oj!
3. Cafe Soleil- trout salad sandwich is to die!
4. Murimoto- duck sush rolls and sake...mmmmm!
5. Bluephies- service was great, food was awful... even their desserts seem to have gone downhill.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”