Your last five restaurants

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:49 am

1 - Greenbush Bar (love the pizza)
2 - Claddagh
3 - Old Fashioned
4 - Glass Nickel (love the stromboli)
5 - Wonder's Pub (good fish fry and beer selection)

Dinners all. We seldom eat out for lunch, but will dine out 6 or 7 times a month.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:52 am

As best I can recall:

Bahn Thai (east)

Tres Amigos (on Odana--not bad, not stellar ... had to try it)

The Dairyland (a perennial favorite for brunch--they treat me like royalty ... seriously you haven't dined at the D-land till you've dined there with me)

Pelayo's (I'm there once a week, at least)

The Dardanelles (another brunch date w/ Mrs. Schick--the chicken donor w/ scrambled eggs is to die for--go for the extra yogurt sauce, and live high on that great bread and apricot butter ... oh, man!)

And this being Friday, I'll be off to Pelayo's again this noon for the tamale special. I've said it before, but they're the best restaurant tamales I've found in town (though the homemade ones my wife sometimes gets from the mother of one of her students can't be touched)

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:49 am

Benvenutos - pizza's OK, beer's cheap ($3 for 23 oz. Blue Moon or Spotted Cow, $2 macrobrews) Share an order of cheese bread with a friend

Brothers 3 - soup & sandwich special

The Chinese place at Aberg & Sherman - lunch buffet, have been there numerous times

Prairie Diner - every Sunday morning

Badger Bowl - good, quick lunch. Had to pick up the car and BB was close.

cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:40 am

Wed. Dinner - Arthur's Steak House, Spring Green, for the last week of their winter-only Wednesday Night Lobster Special (one tail, two tails, with or without prime rib) yum.

Sun. breakfast - Chandler's as ever, Weezy made me eggs w/chorizo that I bought at Marimar after the Horse Fair on Saturday. We were going to eat there but I wasn't quite sure how to order and it didn't look like a vegetarian would do very well there. Can someone put me in the picture on that? So anyway,

Sat. Dinner - turned out to be at Raj. I had a mango curry which would have made a better side dish than a main dish. Mom had an eggplant thingy, pretty good, but the best was friend Annalou's vegetable balls in gravy. Cheap anyway, I think I like Maharajah better though.

Sometime during the week I had a pastrami sammy from Gino's but I already posted about that. The previous weekend Mom and I went to Buraka, my first time there :shock: verra good food but odd, disjointed service.

brownbear
Forum Addict

Postby brownbear » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:08 pm

mrak wrote:Gino's East, Chicago: (No one said they had to be Madison restaurants, right?) Gino's IS deep-dish pizza for me. There is no other. Sorry, Uno's.

I'm sorry but Edwardo's is the King of Deep Dish. Uno's invented, Edwardo's perfected.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:21 pm

Old Fashioned - Friday Fish fry, about 30 min ago

Sa Bai Thong

Abuelo's

Cafe Soleil

China Palace

keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:32 pm

Corner Store - (Paterson & Willy) maybe not technically a restaurant, but very good Thai carry-out at decent prices. Usually a nice selection in the cold case, plus occasional freshly made vegetarian dishes.

La Rocca - veggie combo pizza!

Roxbury Tavern - our Irish band played up there last Sunday for an Irish Stew Dinner. Recommend the homemade fries and garlic ketchup.

Lakeview Deli - Fully loaded boca burger, quite good.

Mildred's - Weaver's Fancy...staple of life.

Luckypants

Postby Luckypants » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:05 pm

keelio wrote:Corner Store - (Paterson & Willy) maybe not technically a restaurant, but very good Thai carry-out at decent prices. Usually a nice selection in the cold case, plus occasional freshly made vegetarian dishes.

Yes! I love that little store. Very good beer selection, too. And the people who work there are just so nice, often addressing customers by name.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:15 pm

Been to mildred's a couple of times. I must say that I haven't really been impressed. The food is maybe a cut above a sub shop but I am really not getting the love it receives on TDP. The guy who works the counter is a little strange too. I can't decide if he's antisocial or always lost in thought.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:52 pm

brownbear wrote:
mrak wrote:Gino's East, Chicago: (No one said they had to be Madison restaurants, right?) Gino's IS deep-dish pizza for me. There is no other. Sorry, Uno's.

I'm sorry but Edwardo's is the King of Deep Dish. Uno's invented, Edwardo's perfected.

I think the phrase is- you must be fucking joking. I happen to prefer Giordano's and Carmen's stuffed spinach 'za to both, but Gino's (along with Lou Malnati's) is Chicago pizza. Edwardo's is acceptable only if the three other places are unavailable.

Last five restaurants:

Village Green- Roadkill burrito. Very good, but I needed a little hot sauce to give it some kick.

Rick's Cafe- Gyro omelette. Best breakfast place in town. No one else is close.

Oakcrest- Walleye. Very good. And not fried, which was a nice touch. Wife had the prime rib, which is also very good.

Morels- prime rib. Very good. Never been disappointed at Morels.

Sa Bai Thong- I don't know exactly what it is we had; some sort of Thai soup, and a beef with green bean entree. I had a bad cold, and wanted something to make me sweat it out of me. We asked for the spiciest version they had. When I left, I looked like I had just walked out of a sauna. Very good.

keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:08 pm

TAsunder wrote:Been to mildred's a couple of times. I must say that I haven't really been impressed. The food is maybe a cut above a sub shop but I am really not getting the love it receives on TDP. The guy who works the counter is a little strange too. I can't decide if he's antisocial or always lost in thought.

I go there pretty regularly, so the quirkiness of the place is cool by me. I have seen interesting reactions by folks that experience it for the first time, though. The soups are usually quite good (particularly cream of mushroom and cream of broccoli) and some of their signature sandwiches are exceptional. As I mentioned above, the Weaver's Fancy is one I'm hooked on, and it's pretty unique. I think Mildred's has been around for nearly 20 years, and the quantity and quality of other sandwich shops has improved recently, so it may not stand out quite so much anymore. I'm still a big fan, though, and Mildred's is usually my default soup and sandwich destination - just a 10 minute walk from my office.

zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

Last five meals or days?

Postby zsa zsa » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:05 am

I eat take out for three meals a day so my last few days consisted of...

Glass Nickel - Spinach Salad

Quiznos - Turkey something

Lao Laan Xang - Curried Squash

Sub from a convience store

Tornado - 8oz filet

Marigold Kitchen - southwest chicken sandwich?

Flatiron - clam chowder

Great Dane - southwest tortellini

it gets a little hazy here....

*edit*
how could i forget the old fashioned..?!? The food is mostly covered in butter but is very tasty!

Harissa

Postby Harissa » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:01 pm

Dobhan - sunday brunch. After reading about the posts on the daily page about their indifferent service, I was super surprised with my first dining experience there. Had a delicious Balti Keema (a well spiced ground lamb dish potato and peas served w/flat bread) with back by great, attentive service.

Blue Sky Cafe, Mt Horeb - (saturday lunch) Tuna melt with tomato, sprouts and american cheese on toasted wheat was classic diner. The former Schuberts keeps the tradition with homemade lefse.

Quivey's Grove - Stable Grill - (friday night fish fry) Went for fish fry, but ordered off the regular menu to get their delicious pretzel crusted lake perch. During the wait, we shared the gouda & summer sausage app. Bitter woman IPA on tap.

Cocoliquot - (tuesday night) Very decent steak frites. Well rounded wine selection from a price point perspective. Chocolate for dessert was a perfect ending.

Laredos west side (last saturday night) - Not the best in town by a long shot (I prefer El Pastor), but if you know what to order you'll always be satisfied. For me that means a trio of carne asada tacos.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Mon May 01, 2006 8:41 am

My past 5:

Eno Vino - Meh. Decent nibbly things (the chocolate trio was, in fact, awesome), but too expensive.

China Palace - Their sichuan menu rules my world. The "boiled lamb in spicy sauce" I had last week is on the list of things I would consider if I could only have one more meal.

Mahrajah - Gotta love an indian lunch buffet.

Sacramento - those tacos arabes? MAN.

Saigon Noodle - It's Pho-riffic!

cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Mon May 01, 2006 9:16 am

Had to chime back in re: 1) Morels - I concur that this place NEVER disappoints. And I mean each and every part of your meal. I love the atmosphere sitting in the side porch - we always request to be seated out there.

2) Saigon Noodle - I somehow forgot about them for a while. Their egg rolls are to die for. I think I'll be going for lunch sometime this week. Thanks for the reminder!

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”