Old Fashioned Review

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Forum Addict

Postby curiouslystrong » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:16 am

Paco wrote:Beer outside Wisco is an import. It IS a Wisconsin bar/restaurant afterall.

And their list of Wisco beers is fantastic. Check out the Viking Barley Wine when they have it in stock.

Forum God/Goddess

Re: Old Fashioned Review

Postby john_titor » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:56 pm

After five years of "about a 45 minute wait", I finally made it to The Old Fashioned.

Crowded, wall to wall people judged by my eyes to be a chill 25-65 year old mix. For having such a long wait and being so crowded, a positive vibe. I had more than a few, happy to be here, out of town people strike up random conversations as we waited.

spicy pickled egg

My category of best things is small, but they do in fact have the best fried cheese curds I have ever had.

Not having looked at the menu before, I was surprised that they are essentially a cold plate and sandwich shop. I did not try any of the cheeses/meats, but think it brilliant. Easy to stock, keep, and prepare. And it is half their menu.

I like how across the menu, they call out the local stuff.

There aren't too many Wisconsin beers I haven't tried, so that wasn't that big of a deal for me. I did get a Monkey Paw that was good. My wife said the old fashioned was strong. Not necessarily a bad thing, more just awareness.

I ordered the #30. Not many people can pull this off. Most times the egg is over easy, missing the point making the yolk a sauce and not a topping. Accidentally breaking the yolk with the top of my bun told me all I needed to know. Sopping meat, bread, bacon, and cheese in yolk and ketchup mix satisfies a primal, written in DNA need. Missus had fish (good) kids had salmon and chicken (pretty good) and root beer.

Judging by the other diners with coats on, I was not alone thinking it too damn cold up front by the windows.

Overall, good place for native and WI-curious patient people. I would like to go back for beers and cold plate of some kind, if I could find a seat at the bar.

Postby nichole » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:10 pm

The Fountain is never crowded, and it's kind of the same deal.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:51 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Ms. Vilas and I made our first visit last night. It was Taco Tuesday.

I wrote the above in 2006. Just recently Taco John's threated to sue the Old Fashioned for using their trademarked term, Taco Tuesday. In response the Old Fashioned is having a contest to rename their Tueday Taco special. The winner gets free tacos for a year.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:04 pm

Oh for fuck's sake. Every city of any size has at least a handful of places with Taco Tuesdays. (Uh oh, do I get a letter if I typed it plural?)

From a link in your article:
For those that do, Taco John's Middleton [guy's last name, not Middleton, WI] gives these words of advice: "It's OK to say Tacos on Tuesday. Just don't say Taco Tuesday."

Forum Addict

Postby Broadsheet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:47 pm

I think they should just move it to Thursday. Or call it Taquito Tuesday, because they are little tacos, si?

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”