Old Fashioned Review

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: OF

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:00 pm

zsa zsa wrote:I don't like how they run their lunches (no table service)
I second that.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Re: OF

Postby Paco » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:32 pm

zsa zsa wrote:Love the Old Fashioned...
And..I would have ordered an additional beer if I hadn't already ran my credit card at the counter.

Aww Zsa Zsa honey, we all know you wouldn't have ordered just one more beer.

Welcome back. :D On the radio yet?

Madisonienne

cheeseburgers

Postby Madisonienne » Tue May 16, 2006 1:53 pm

The cheeseburgers there were really good the first couple times I ordered them. I mean like Blue Moon, old dotties, bou burger good. But the last three times (I'll give anyone a bad day) the meat was packed way too tightly or something and my medium did not even have a hint of pink. In fact, one day the medium burger was actually burnt. Please return to the super juicy burgers. The fries are still delicious. And the cheese curds, while heart attack inducing, are wonderful.

I have to go to the gym now.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 17, 2006 11:00 am

Ms. Vilas and I made our first visit last night. It was Taco Tuesday. I had three fish and the Ms. has a pulled pork, a chicken and a fish. They were very good (although a little short on the salsa), very filling and only a buck and a half each. I liked their beer selection. Had a couple of the Wild Ride IPAs. We also shared the onion straws with the blue tiger dipping sauce. It could have used a little more horseradish. Total bill a little over twenty-five bucks (Ms. had a glass of wine).

We'll be back. Gotta try the fried cheese curds next.

curiouslystrong
Forum Addict

Postby curiouslystrong » Wed May 17, 2006 11:03 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I had three fish and the Ms. has a pulled pork, a chicken and a fish. They were very good (although a little short on the salsa), very filling and only a buck and a half each. I liked their beer selection. Had a couple of the Wild Ride IPAs. We also shared the onion straws with the blue tiger dipping sauce. It could have used a little more horseradish. Total bill a little over twenty-five bucks (Ms. had a glass of wine).

We'll be back. Gotta try the fried cheese curds next.

The fish tacos are the best of the three. Also, I tried the South Shore Cream Ale last night - pretty damn tasty.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: cheeseburgers

Postby MadMind » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:42 pm

Madisonienne wrote:But the last three times (I'll give anyone a bad day) the meat was packed way too tightly or something

I stopped in for a bite last night as Monday's is two-for-one burgers and I agree. The meat was packed too tight or something. They also had an odd taste to them, some spice or something. I didn't really take to them and felt a need to get rid of the aftertaste.
They do however give you an interesting choice of cheese and sauces, and $4.95 for a burger ($1.00 extra for cheese) isn't bad for the downtown area.

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:39 am

For those of you root beer afficianados, they will upon request make a root beer float using their tap stuff, which is Baumeister (from the Door County area) for $4.50. A regular glass is $2.50, but no free refills.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:29 pm

Anyone been here lately? I have been told by two people that the service was terrible recently, and just experienced it myself. I used to go somewhat often, but I'm debating whether I want to return. My first friend told a tale of 8 people going, and 7 of the orders were messed up, and his side of fries didn't come until after he was done with the meal. My experience is similar... took a long time, order messed up.

New cooks?

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:08 pm

Since arctic winter arrived here a full month and a half early, I took it upon myself to go to the OF and order their Macaroni and Cheese w/ Ring Bologna. Let's just say it took the edge off. When I walked back outside, it was still cold, but at least I was full.

curiouslystrong
Forum Addict

Postby curiouslystrong » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:28 am

If you go right now, try the Cherry Bounce. It's fantastic. They threw some fresh Door County cherries in with brandy or vodka and let it steep for 6 months.

The brandy Cherry Bounce neat will warm you right up.

Grubendol

Postby Grubendol » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:47 pm

TAsunder wrote:Anyone been here lately? I have been told by two people that the service was terrible recently, and just experienced it myself. I used to go somewhat often, but I'm debating whether I want to return. My first friend told a tale of 8 people going, and 7 of the orders were messed up, and his side of fries didn't come until after he was done with the meal. My experience is similar... took a long time, order messed up.

New cooks?

I went there last night, actually stopped by there. After waiting 15 minutes for a server to come so we could order (even though the restaurant was only two-thirds full), we got tired of waiting and moved on to another place. Too bad, their food is good.

sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sitnspin » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:39 pm

curiouslystrong wrote:If you go right now, try the Cherry Bounce. It's fantastic. They threw some fresh Door County cherries in with brandy or vodka and let it steep for 6 months.

The brandy Cherry Bounce neat will warm you right up.

I disagree. I went in last night, excited to try their cherry bounce, and left very disappointed, feeling ripped off. I make cherry bounce myself, and this stuff at the Old Fashioned was so weak, I question if it really did stew 6 months (I thought they claimed to let it sit a year)...At $7.50 a pop, it was a huge let-down.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Cherry Bounce

Postby swoon_queen » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:46 pm

First off, as a semi-regular at Old Fashioned I know that they actually started soaking the cherries on their opening day just over a year ago. I too thought it tasted weak at first sip.... but in actuality it's just smooth, as it made both me and my friend tipsy after just 2 helpings (and I at least have a pretty high tolerance)

The reason I frequent the O.F. is because it offers one thing that I haven't found many other places in downtown Madison since moving here about a year ago (except maybe Montmartre): Friendly staff! The food is sometimes phenomenal, sometimes just ok, always comforting. I haven't seen anyone mention a few of my favorite menu items: the housemade potato chips are great and the Sunday brunch is too.

anyportinastorm
Forum Addict

Postby anyportinastorm » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:13 am

I will have to say that the Old Fashioned certainly has slipped some since they have opened. The last few times we have been there within the last two months both the food and service was merely OK nothing really worth writing home about--and the bartenders were...well, awful---just didn't seem to know what they were doing and very slow. I hope they get their act back together because we really enjoyed going there, but...

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:09 pm

Just hit The Old Fashioned for the first time (shame on me) yesterday, and the service was just fine. It was busy, and we didn't have to wait at all. When the curds (amazing) arrived at the same time as the entrees, our server took them off our bill without batting an eye. Very nice.

How many places can you order a chicken breast and bacon sammich and have the option of adding braunschweiger? Or order mac and cheese (like I did) that comes with ring bologna chopped up in the breadcrumb topping, with even more ring bologna as a side?

Line of the night: "Is it unhealthy if I dip my fries in the yolk?"

Fun place, good food, nothing at all like a real Wisconsin supper club, but it's not meant to be. It's an homage. The food is reminiscent while the ambience is very Madison. I shall return to try the pork shoulder sandwich.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”