La Rocca's Restaurant & Pizzeria

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby universitylad » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:49 am

I like both Roman Candle and La Roccas...it depends on what mood I'm in.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:55 pm

La Rocca was half full last night (Tuesday). It is a nice quiet place that my honey and me found perfect to celebrate our 14 years together. And the food was yummy.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Mon May 14, 2007 12:55 pm

I've been on a small search for a good lingine and clam sauce recently. I had an interesting rendition at Papa Phill's two weeks ago but they had creamed it up so much it was closer to clam alfredo-very rich and tasty, but not really what I was after.

Larocca's comes through again: I ordered the Linguine Al Vito and was served a piping hot plate of flat noodles with an open Mussel and sprig of Broad leaf Italian parsely dead center. The clams came in neat litle shells, it also had shrimp to boot, and the white wine sauce had been livened up with a dusting of red pepper! My wife had Tortellini in cream sauce with porcini mushrooms-which amply satified our quotient for over the top richness. All in all more reasons to love LaRoccas!

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Fri May 18, 2007 1:22 pm

I also like both Roman Candle and La Roccas. I prefer buying a single slice at Roman Candle because they apparently par-bake a plain pizza, slice it up, then add your toppings when you order and throw it back in the oven to finish it off. Hot and crispy. One time I picked up a slice at La Roccas and it seemed like it had been sitting for 25 minutes or so.

Also recently had a pizza at Cafe La Bellitalia on North Sherman (the old Rick and Ole’s) that was quite good. Cracker-thin crust, nice sauce and had to be Fraboni's sausage on there.

BTW, my doc gave me a prescription for the OTC Prilosec because the co-pay is less than the OTC price.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Sat May 19, 2007 2:43 pm

the roman candle is an insult to pizza. I have had better tasting pizza in 4th grade school lunch. honestly. parbaked slices? there is nothing good about that. at least la rocca's taste good even after they've been sitting.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Mon May 21, 2007 2:24 pm

I don't actually hate Roman Candle-its not that bad...but LaRoccas' is the real deal-the 'Candle is the arty aproximation...at best...and Ian's is the Artless approximation...Mac and cheese on a slice, yuck! Two great tastes that don't belong together.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Mon May 21, 2007 2:36 pm

I love Ian's crust--yeah the goofy toppings can be a bit much but some are tasty--BUT there is no way that you can persuade me that crust vs. crust the roman candle even comes close to Ians or La Roccas...IMO.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Mon May 21, 2007 2:52 pm

I'd probably be able to make peace with the Mac-n-Cheese Pizza if it came with slices of Polish sausage-thad'd be the(Gut)Bomb!

If you are hip to LaRocca's then Bel Italia also deserves consideration.

Mediocre Pizza update: recently attended the Marquette Dream camp basketball awards dinner-we estimated they needed close to 100 Little Caesar's in order to feed the some 350 people two slices a piece...alls I can say is there's a reason its called "Little" Caesars...the kids loved it but, I was still hungry...

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Mon May 21, 2007 4:13 pm

cubanat wrote:the roman candle is an insult to pizza. I have had better tasting pizza in 4th grade school lunch. honestly. parbaked slices? there is nothing good about that. at least la rocca's taste good even after they've been sitting.

Sorry, my preference is for pizza hot from the oven with a crispy crust. I believe that La Rocca’s pizza would have been very good had I been there 20 minutes earlier, but soggy pizza does nothing for me.

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue May 29, 2007 11:18 am

The new Roman Candle in Middleton was reviewed in the Sunday State Journal. Said it might be the best pizza in the area.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Tue May 29, 2007 8:07 pm

What does that say about the sad state of
a. our restos
b. our reviewers
c. the area (middleton aka chain-ville aka the plastic surgery center of america)
d. all of the above...?

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed May 30, 2007 10:08 am

What th---?!
Has this thread REALLY had 16,926 hits?
Is that a record?

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Wed May 30, 2007 10:17 am

Ian's pizza crust is so bland it could pass for paper mache. Lombardino's is getting it right these days.

cubanat wrote:I love Ian's crust--yeah the goofy toppings can be a bit much but some are tasty--BUT there is no way that you can persuade me that crust vs. crust the roman candle even comes close to Ians or La Roccas...IMO.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Wed May 30, 2007 10:46 am

IMO dstol, how can the crust at ians be bland when it's topped with a philly cheese steak & fries? Are you scraping the toppings off and running the crust under the crack tap to wash away the sauce? Stop smokin' the rock and fess up to the fact that...I lost my train of thought--that last hit sent me...

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 30, 2007 10:57 am

I think they might be using some butter on the crust at ian's or something. It tastes extra buttery lately.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”