La Rocca's Restaurant & Pizzeria

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LoopBo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:10 pm

get a room you two.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:22 pm

pay for it.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:34 pm

GenieU wrote:Chicago style pizza is an over the top gimmick and not for the faint of heart. Its right out of the "Da Bears" skit-one very well may need to perform CPR on yourself after ingesting over an inch of cheese per slice.

The annoying thing about it is that it takes forever and a day to bake a pizza that thick-45minutes to an hour if I remember correctly.

"Gimmick"? God himself eats stuffed spinach pizza from Giordano's. He told me so.

It does take about 45 minutes to bake, but that just give you a chance to order a second pitcher.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:28 pm

buckyor wrote:It does take about 45 minutes to bake, but that just give you a chance to order a second pitcher.

Second?

Lightweight.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:33 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
buckyor wrote:It does take about 45 minutes to bake, but that just give you a chance to order a second pitcher.

Second?

Lightweight.

Touche'

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:50 pm

buckyor wrote:
GenieU wrote:Chicago style pizza is an over the top gimmick and not for the faint of heart. Its right out of the "Da Bears" skit-one very well may need to perform CPR on yourself after ingesting over an inch of cheese per slice.

The annoying thing about it is that it takes forever and a day to bake a pizza that thick-45minutes to an hour if I remember correctly.

"Gimmick"? God himself eats stuffed spinach pizza from Giordano's. He told me so.

It does take about 45 minutes to bake, but that just give you a chance to order a second pitcher.

Sigh, back in my younger days, the magical 90s...

Listen, don't do the things I did and end up with acid reflux disease and a never ending prescription for Zantac-its no fun. The list of things I'm not supposed to eat is long and varied, although I don't seem to remember Chicago style pizza being on the list...

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:26 pm

GenieU wrote:
buckyor wrote:

Sigh, back in my younger days, the magical 90s...

Listen, don't do the things I did and end up with acid reflux disease and a never ending prescription for Zantac-its no fun. The list of things I'm not supposed to eat is long and varied, although I don't seem to remember Chicago style pizza being on the list...

Dude, I've been on prilosec for a decade. One a day, no longer need a prescription.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:37 pm

Jeez, what strength of ranitidine are you on to need a prescription? Even 150 is OTC now.

I dunno about you, but any sort of thing involving tomatoes, fruit, yogurt, water, air, bread, or sleep set off my acid reflux. But especially tomatoes.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:38 pm

But I did try prilosec and was one of something like 5% of people who get severe headaches and massive nausea from it. It's not advertised on the list of possible side effects for some reason.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 am

TAsunder wrote:Jeez, what strength of ranitidine are you on to need a prescription? Even 150 is OTC now.

I dunno about you, but any sort of thing involving tomatoes, fruit, yogurt, water, air, bread, or sleep set off my acid reflux. But especially tomatoes.

300 mg of Ranitidine (generic Zantac) I'm supposed to take it X2 daily but I only take it in the morning when I need it the most.

Things I now avoid are bacon, oranges, caffienated coffee :( and too much overeating meal after meal...Things that don't seem to bother me much (But should perhaps) are tomatos, french fries, and sausages...and beer.

LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LoopBo » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:46 am

depinmad wrote:pay for it.

duh, i meant a chat room...and those are free...so ok!

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:39 am

For some reason we hadn't tried it yet so we finally had supper there over the weekend.

Best ravioli I've ever had. That was GOOD food at good prices. According to our waiter, it's still all homemade.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:23 pm

STILL I drive by on any given night, roman candle is packed and La Rocca's is empty. What is wrong with people?

I'm a fan of roman candle but C'mon. You can stand there like a dolt, waiting for a table to open, or you can walk a block, sit down right away, it's cheaper, and the food is better IMO.

Going to the hippest place does not make you hip.

This street will support a crappy cafe that won't even bring the food to your table, but seemingly ignore a wonderful place like La Rocca's.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:47 pm

Because Madison wants a healthy dose of pretentiousness served up with their food, and you won't find that here.

I ate there last week(2nd time)...had the lasagne Florentine....big huge piece, and it tasted wonderful....this place is the best kept secret in Madison.
I can't wait until it warms up so I can walk down for a slice of pizza over lunch.

anaranjado

la rocca rocks!

Postby anaranjado » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:01 pm

I had pizza from La Rocca last week with a friend. It was a sauceless pie with cheese, basil, tomato, and black olives. Divine. You could taste the olive oil and salt in the crust. It was subtly delicious and baked "just right" so that it was crunchy on the bottom but still a little chewy, as well. Fantastic. They've changed the interior a bit, too since they opened. It is a bit warmer and inviting now.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”