La Rocca's Restaurant & Pizzeria

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:48 am

eh bruddah, what a maroon.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:02 am

A not-too-chewy bagel is fine if you're going to toast it, I suppose. But a bagel eaten in its natural state had better be chewy, or it's just a savory donut. Blech.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:19 am

There's a difference between not chewy at all and not too chewy. Bagels forever is too chewy toasted or untoasted. I don't want TMJ from my bagel, thanks. There are some bagels at einsteins that are a bit too loose but others are just fine untoasted.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:09 pm

WTF are you talking about? You yourself said basically the same thing I did, that bagels forever is garbage and that einstein was CLOSER (please note the R at the end) to new york. I didn't say they were the same thing. Next time, before you go off on your long diatribe holier-than-thou bagel speech, you might want to read my post a little more carefully.

I was agreeing with you fuck-head and letting you know that NY does have so-so bagels...and speaking of reading posts more closely:

Great NY Chinese is inexpensive, well made with fresh ingredients and if needed- able to be delivered without degrading the flavors. Shun Lee is way too expensive. PF Changs should not even be uttered on a discussion of good food let alone Chinese food.

NY Chinese is known for being inexpensive! Ask any New Yorker, not the scared tourist set that thinks shun lee is authentic cuz it's clean and has gussied-up servers. OH, I know why you like Shun Lee & PF Changs cuz they take credit cards! Now you can have white people's Chinese food and tip on your card. No wonder you don't like the chinatown dumps, cash only bitch!

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:39 pm

I like Shun Lee because of the decor, service, utensils, and interesting menu items. By interesting I don't mean authentic. Though they do have a traditional menu of some sort, but you have to ask for it between juggling acts and stand up comedy from your wait staff. I wouldn't go there more than once every few years, unlike some of the places in chinatown. But I certainly wouldn't go there and think, this place sucks, I could have gotten vomit in a cardboard container from chang jiang in madison for 1/10th the price.

As for chinatown, please, continue to love the dumps. I will continue to love the places that aren't dumps that charge a little more for better food, service, and sanitation. Yeah you can get better chinese food than any place in madison for half the price there... but just imagine what you were missing, because for the same price as madison food, you could get something marvelous.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:43 pm

cubanat wrote:I was agreeing with you fuck-head and letting you know that NY does have so-so bagels...and speaking of reading posts more closely:

Sorry then, I focused on the vitriol portion of your response where you implied that I thought einstein was as good as nyc bagels instead of all the recommendations and general good cheer.

Though I will stick by my belief that nyc style pizza is vastly overrated. It has to be crunchy or best eaten with a fork before I will reminisce over it.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:01 pm

La Rocca's doesn't serve bagels.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:11 pm

After a few weeks of reading posts & contributing to this forum, I find it a lost cause to try to get people to change their tastes & beliefs. The following is a quote from another site that I like. And although LaRoccas doesn't serve bagels this is where the thread has led! Enjoy this paragraph, I did: (emphasis on I):

"If you are reading this, I'm guessing you are like me, and you love food. You love eating out, don't like to waste money, and you read blogs and message boards to find out what the best places to eat in the city are. But there's one catch� everybody has different taste. So, it drives me crazy when people write negative reviews without perspective. Don't get me wrong� I love negativity, and I'm pretty critical, but I've eaten at very few restaurants that I would recommend to NOBODY. Remember, degustibus non est disputadem. In matters of taste, there can be no dispute. "

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:22 pm

cubanat wrote:After a few weeks of reading posts & contributing to this forum, I find it a lost cause to try to get people to change their tastes & beliefs.

DING!

Why bother in the first place? You barely know your audience anyway.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:35 pm

Trying to get people to change their tastes is futile.

But trying to get them to try something they may not have thought of is still worthwhile.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:40 pm

Thusnelda & TAsunder, what I do know is how bad some of your tastes are/can be. Damn it to hell, there I go again! From now on I will not try to change anyones tastes or opinions. Honestly...
Last edited by cubanat on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:54 pm

mrak wrote:Trying to get people to change their tastes is futile.

But trying to get them to try something they may not have thought of is still worthwhile.

Agreed and well said mrak.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:12 pm

Forget about changing people's tastes, at this point we want to win the argument!!!

From this thread I've learned:

1. People who like bagels forever also like chang jiang, and are probably on a lot of drugs. And have jaw tendon issues from both (I can hear them thinking right now, chang jiang chewy chicken in a bagels forever chewy bagel, MMMMMMMM, that would be like the chewy-food equivalent of the neverending gobstopper).

2. Einstein bagels are mediocre, but mediocre is as good as it gets here in town whether or not einstein is the most passably mediocre.

3. Chinese food in madison is mediocre, and no one can agree which is the most mediocrest of them all, although we all agree that we need some flippin good dim sum.

4. Non TDPFers inexplicably like roman candle more than La Rocca and no one seems able to defend it here, thus creating a vacuum.

5. There is someone on the planet who likes Ruby's and I don't mean the one in manhattan.

6. All of you are cowards for not going to that new place in butler so I don't have to do it myself

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:53 pm

There's a difference between disagreeing and yammering on about how someone else has shitty taste.

Even if I have to do it all the time because you hayseeds are crampin' my palate.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:00 pm

Personal taste and poor communication skills of humans are what drove the great Mr. Lunch to remind people to detail WHAT they ate and WHY they didn't enjoy it.
Saying LaRocca sucks doesn't mean anything until we discover that, say, they don't serve bagels.
Some people hate a restaurant and some people love a restaurant but they don't explain what entrees they ordered.
eating out is like playing fantasy football: I might like the pizza at Benvenutos and the salad at Dotty Dumpling's and the drinks at Shamrock, etc.
Be specific: be Forons, not morons.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”