La Rocca's Restaurant & Pizzeria

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:03 am

TAsunder wrote:
mr.wolf wrote:Case in point: last time I ate at Brothers Three, the waiter brought me the drink I had ordered on my previous visit and set it down on the table while I was still hanging up my jacket. Damn, that's good service!

Hmm... what if you didn't want the drink that time, though?

Once again TAsunder you are missing the point of great service. The waiter knows this guy and knows his drink cause he is a regular customer that uh-oh, tips 20%! That is another benefit of tipping well, having nothing to do with flex wages and macro-econ.

cristobal
Forum Addict

Postby cristobal » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:43 am

I agree with the good reviews. Rocca's is a great little Italian "joint." Not fancy but simple and fun. Our waitress was super-nice and the cook/owner guy was also very nice.

We liked the pizza a lot and all else was good. The atmosphere isn't real romantic if you're looking for something like that but it was clean, plesant and fun.

We definitely will return.

Cristobal

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:05 pm

points added for the waitress wearing the ramones tee.
points taken away for same waitress waiting ten minutes to tell us the credit card machine was down.

cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:21 pm

P'raps they were trying to fix it?

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:06 pm

Repeat post, but it goes better here:

Roman Candle isn't bad but it took 20 minutes for a slice the other day.
The day before I had tried La Rocca and they had a steaming slice ready immediately, almost twice as big as RC's, with so much real cheese on it I almost had to open a government warehouse. Really good.
It makes me sad to see Roman Candle packed at night while La Rocca sits empty.
Scandalous.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:33 pm

cubanat wrote:
TAsunder wrote:
mr.wolf wrote:Case in point: last time I ate at Brothers Three, the waiter brought me the drink I had ordered on my previous visit and set it down on the table while I was still hanging up my jacket. Damn, that's good service!

Hmm... what if you didn't want the drink that time, though?

Once again TAsunder you are missing the point of great service. The waiter knows this guy and knows his drink cause he is a regular customer that uh-oh, tips 20%! That is another benefit of tipping well, having nothing to do with flex wages and macro-econ.

I'm not missing the point, I just found the idea of wanting a different drink amusing. At Whole Foods that sort of thing (accidental wasted drink) would get you fired, if you were a union rep, I mean.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:36 pm

Is it because roman candle is more popular, or because it's in a better location? I assume the latter, but am not 100% committed to that assumption. That also explains, to me anyway, why it gets madison's favorites. Any restaurant in that general vicinity is likely to win. Isthmus readership demographics, I suspect.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:48 pm

la rocca's is about three blocks away from roman candle, also on williamson.
location should be just as good for both.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:50 pm

Whoops, I was thinking of pavlov's

snarky

Postby snarky » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:20 am

I will never understand why Roman Candle always has crowds and La Rocca's looks so quiet and empty. Roman Candle pizza is waaaay overrated-- their crust is especially terrible. I moved here from NYC and have been complaining about the lack of a good slice since then. Ian's is okay, but way too thick. I had high hopes for Roman Candle and that didn't work out. Glass Nickel is a joke.

La Rocca's is as close to authentic NYC Italian as anything could be in Madison. The pizza is great- yummy sauce and perfect crust. Just a plain cheese pizza is wonderful there.

And the cannolis are some the THE BEST I have ever had. Period. I can't believe people aren't aren't flocking there just because of the cannolis. They are heaven. I ordered a pizza and 2 cannolis from there one night when I was getting over a bad cold, and the person who owns the place (an older man) delivered it-- was one of the fastest and nicest delivery experiences I've had here.

So give them some of your business!

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:26 pm

snarky wrote:I will never understand why Roman Candle always has crowds and La Rocca's looks so quiet and empty. Roman Candle pizza is waaaay overrated-- their crust is especially terrible. I moved here from NYC and have been complaining about the lack of a good slice since then. Ian's is okay, but way too thick. I had high hopes for Roman Candle and that didn't work out. Glass Nickel is a joke.

La Rocca's is as close to authentic NYC Italian as anything could be in Madison. The pizza is great- yummy sauce and perfect crust. Just a plain cheese pizza is wonderful there.

And the cannolis are some the THE BEST I have ever had. Period. I can't believe people aren't aren't flocking there just because of the cannolis. They are heaven. I ordered a pizza and 2 cannolis from there one night when I was getting over a bad cold, and the person who owns the place (an older man) delivered it-- was one of the fastest and nicest delivery experiences I've had here.

Welcome to Madison from one big apple to another--you think the pizza situation is bad, wait till you try the Chinese, bagels, & deli's. Good Eating

snarky

Postby snarky » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:41 pm

cubanat wrote:
snarky wrote:I will never understand why Roman Candle always has crowds and La Rocca's looks so quiet and empty. Roman Candle pizza is waaaay overrated-- their crust is especially terrible. I moved here from NYC and have been complaining about the lack of a good slice since then. Ian's is okay, but way too thick. I had high hopes for Roman Candle and that didn't work out. Glass Nickel is a joke.

Welcome to Madison from one big apple to another--you think the pizza situation is bad, wait till you try the Chinese, bagels, & deli's. Good Eating

thanks for the welcome fellow New Yorker, but I've been in this land of bad bagels, pizza and chinese for 5 years now... :( I also really miss good greek food, and diners.

Now that I am on the subject, why isn't there an actual diner here? Like the ones all over New Jersey and Long Island- opened 24 hours and serving breakfast or burgers and curly fries all day and all night?? Is that too much to ask?

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:48 pm

as a native new yorker i can't believe you're saying that ian's is too thick. ian's is absolutely the closest thing to a new york slice you can get around here.
for bagels, bagels forever's are small but basically authentic.
chinese is tough, but there's a takeout joint in the same shopping plaza as the alicia ashman library branch on the west side that does good fried rice.
also the orange beef at that place on atwood across from tex tubbs is yummy.

snarky

Postby snarky » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:55 pm

depinmad wrote:as a native new yorker i can't believe you're saying that ian's is too thick. ian's is absolutely the closest thing to a new york slice you can get around here.
for bagels, bagels forever's are small but basically authentic.
chinese is tough, but there's a takeout joint in the same shopping plaza as the alicia ashman library branch on the west side that does good fried rice.
also the orange beef at that place on atwood across from tex tubbs is yummy.

I;ve only been to Ian's a couple times, so maybe I just got extra-thick slices. I still hold that La Rocca's is the closest to authetic NYC pizza. Bagels Forever are alright- good to keep in the freezer for toasting but, actually I think that Einstein's are much closer to NY bagels than Bagels Forever. Einstein's everything bagel will pretty much satisfy my longing for the kind of bagels I used to get in Queens.

I actually had decent Chinese this past weekend- I happened to be on the West side and ordered from Chang Jiang on Gammon Rd. By far the best I've had- good fried rice, great sweet and sour shrimp and good egg rolls.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:56 pm

George Webb, the greasy spoon chain from Milwaukee, used to have franchises in Madison. Three in the 60s and again a couple in the 80s, but they never stuck around for long. Always open; they were the closest to 24 hour diners around these parts. Famous for their sliders. Great bartime food.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”