Italian?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:41 pm

I wanna be there, can't compete though, don't think my green/white laz would qualify.
Need any help recruiting judges? I know a few food professionals.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:47 pm

msnflyer wrote:I wanna be there, can't compete though, don't think my green/white laz would qualify.

And why not?

"There's nothing in the rule book that says a mule can't play baseball!"

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Who's up for a Foron lasagna bake-off?

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:58 pm

Marvell wrote:
Chuck_Schick wrote: Oh, and my lasagna kicks the ass of that of any kitchen in town.

Better change that to 'best commercial kitchen in town,' my friend - unless you're calling me out.

If you two are having a lasagnathon, I absolutely want an invitation!
No matter which master's creation is better, the real winner will be my taste buds.

mystery47
Forum Addict

Postby mystery47 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:59 pm

OMG! I can't believe there was a discussion of good Italian food in town and Cafe Continental didn't come up! Okay, I think they may be inclusive of some other Mediterranean regions, but they have some killer-good Italian. I love the polenta with Italian sausage and fennel and hope it's on their menu when I return.

And lasagne-men/women (or should I say lasagne-boys/girls?) I don't need to trash talk so much on the lasagne front, my lasagne will speak for itself...
Hmmm, on the other hand, I may want to not do the work and be a taster... JJ, can I be a taster please?

Pongoid
Forum Addict

Postby Pongoid » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:21 pm

I haven't found a good Italian restaurant in this town. Fraboni's has good food but its way expensive because they are the only game in town. Chicago has way better products and cheaper.

My lasagna is the best hands down because I am a real Italian and real fat.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:46 am

Greenbush bar used to have some surprisingly tasty pasta dishes. I haven't been there in years, though.

Avoid Biaggis like the plague. I went there a few weeks back for the first time and it was overpriced, bland, and I coulda sworn they were using "green can" institutional parmesan.

Vin Santo is good, albiet a bit hit-and-miss and their portions are inhumanly big. I've had a few pasta dishes there, and the pasta is always excellent. Their salads are eh, their desserts are decent and HUGE (a bread pudding the size of a hubcap? A brick of tiramisu?). I had the seafood stew a few times, too, and it's great in concept but often a bit too salty.

Tutto Pasta (on king) is the kind of place I'll take my parents. It isn't great, but it isn't terrible either.

Lombardino's has an italian name, although their menu is pretty haute italian. I've never had anything bad there, and the duck and whitebean soup was amazing...but the place also costs an arm and a leg and really isn't where you want to go if you just want a plate of spaghetti.

Seems the best option is to go to Fraboni's, buy a big tin of olive oil, a lot of garlic, and some pasta. Then go home and get coookin'.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:53 am

i've tried twice now to go to johnny's italian steakhouse. though it got a stinko review in the isthmus and it's a chain and it probably sucks shit anyway.
but, both times i've been told there's a one to two hour wait.
fuck johnny's.

universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby universitylad » Sun May 07, 2006 5:13 pm

zelda wrote:Hey - thanks to all for the help. We ended up going to Papa Phil's. Papa Phil - if that's who greeted us - was pleasant, if a bit harried. The dipping sauce for the bread was a big hit with the visiting family (I enjoyed it but found it a little too sweet for my taste). Salads the traditional iceberg stuff, but crisp and fresh, good dressings. The pasta alfredo was also a big hit. The cheese ravioli less so. Pretty darn blah. We didn't try the desserts, alas, but had Ben & Jerry's back at my place. I think we will give Bunky's a try the next time they come - or Paisan's or Porta Bella.

I just tried Papa Phils the first time this weekend. I really enjoyed it a lot, and it will become my new favorite lower cost Italian restaurant. Yes, the salad does have some iceberg lettuce, but there did have some green leafy type lettuce mixed in. Dressings were excellent too--an Italian raspberry vinegrette which was tasty. The bread was crisp with toasted seasame seeds and i too just loved the dipping sauce--olive oil and something? Do you know what it was, Zelda? I had the Chicken Marsala which was full of flavor and crispy. I didn't try desserts either, as I love Michael's turtle sundae's next door.

I'm definitely doing back to Papa Phils! Vin Santo will remain my favorite medium cost Italian restaurant and Lombardino's my favorite expensive Italian restaurant.

zelda
Forum Addict

Postby zelda » Tue May 09, 2006 7:57 am

Yikes! I don't remember exactly what was in the olive oil. It seemed to have some little bits of herbs, maybe oregano? Maybe a touch of balsamic vinegar? Can anyone help me out here?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue May 09, 2006 8:01 am

Hey, when is Paisan's going to be in it's new location? (the old Library place)

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue May 09, 2006 10:39 am

Bwis53 wrote:Hey, when is Paisan's going to be in it's new location? (the old Library place)

They close May 17 at U4.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:44 pm

Text of message sent to Jason Joyce of Isthmus:

Jason -

I was rummaging through the archives and I came across the Foron Lasagna Bake-off thread:

http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewt ... sc&start=0

I never really pushed the event because it seems to me that Italian food events should always be coupled with Columbus Day - evil fucking colonialist though he might have been. So - given that we are approximately two months out from next iteration of said Columbus Day, and knowing that it's never too early to start doing the leg work, I thought I'd bring this whole concept up again.

If this were an Isthmus-sponsored event I think it's only fair that your organization would get to decide what cause we were raising funds for. That having been said, I'd give a plug for some kind of city-wide program involving either feeding kids or educating kids on farming and gardening. I don't know what's out there, but I bet you have someone on staff who does.

Zap me back [...] if you would like to pursue this further.

Thanks,

-m-

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:47 am

Best be prepared to bring it, Marvell. I've got a surplus of tomatoes ripening in the garden and I'm rarin' to sauce from scratch.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:57 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:Best be prepared to bring it, Marvell. I've got a surplus of tomatoes ripening in the garden and I'm rarin' to sauce from scratch.

Save those for the nazi rally. Nothing says you suck like a home-grown tomato in the face.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:52 am

TAsunder wrote:
Chuck_Schick wrote:Best be prepared to bring it, Marvell. I've got a surplus of tomatoes ripening in the garden and I'm rarin' to sauce from scratch.

Save those for the nazi rally. Nothing says you suck like a home-grown tomato in the face.

That's a waste of a perfectly good home-grown tomato. Now, for the ones with blossom-end rot.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”