Italian?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:08 am

it's not a tomato sauce. it's like a vinagrette salad dressing, but much sweeter.

sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sitnspin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:50 am

depinmad wrote:it's true the service and attitude were ridiculous, but it was hard to beat their red sauce.

I agree about the service, very hit or miss. Their red sauce was divine, though...as was the tiramisu. The best I've had in this city ever.

Is Papa Phil's related to the Sole e Sapori family? I recall the young owner of the Sole on Atwood being named Phil...

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:07 am

nope, no relation.

foodstuff

Postby foodstuff » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:12 am

zelda wrote:Oh! I forgot...speaking of mix-master contests, is there any place in town that I can purchase a crank handle thingy for my atlas pasta maker? Or do I have to send away for it? I seem to have lost mine.

I believe Frabonis on Regent carrys the brand, but I do not know if they sell just the cranks

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Who's up for a Foron lasagna bake-off?

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:31 am

Marvell wrote:
Chuck_Schick wrote: Oh, and my lasagna kicks the ass of that of any kitchen in town. There should at least be a little competition on that front.

Better change that to 'best commercial kitchen in town,' my friend - unless you're calling me out.

And before you answer that let me just point out that I have been known to make the noodles for my lasagna from scratch.

Me too, my man. Though, I'll confess I'm a shitty wop in that I don't currently have a pasta maker in my possession. For the record, my preferred pre-fab noodles are the Barilla no-boil variety. Not damn bad and super friggin' easy to work with, not that it's an issue for me, mind you.

As I recall, Kitchen-Aid used to make a decent pasta extruder for their mixers. I should look into that.

But do you make your sauce from scratch? Clearly, it's not the season, but you should have hit me up in September.

Ready to match mix-masters with the master, young Food-I?

Let's roll! At least our friends will be well fed. You are a worthy foe, Marvell, I won't shit you on that score.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:41 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:
Marvell wrote:
Chuck_Schick wrote: Oh, and my lasagna kicks the ass of that of any kitchen in town. There should at least be a little competition on that front.

Better change that to 'best commercial kitchen in town,' my friend - unless you're calling me out.

And before you answer that let me just point out that I have been known to make the noodles for my lasagna from scratch.

Me too, my man. Though, I'll confess I'm a shitty wop in that I don't currently have a pasta maker in my possession. For the record, my preferred pre-fab noodles are the Barilla no-boil variety. Not damn bad and super friggin' easy to work with, not that it's an issue for me, mind you.

As I recall, Kitchen-Aid used to make a decent pasta extruder for their mixers. I should look into that.

But do you make your sauce from scratch? Clearly, it's not the season, but you should have hit me up in September.

Ready to match mix-masters with the master, young Food-I?

Let's roll! At least our friends will be well fed. You are a worthy foe, Marvell, I won't shit you on that score.

As Larry Bird would say before the 3-point contest during All-Star Weekend: Which one of you clowns is playing for second? Because if I'm in the game, that's all you'd be playing for.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Game ON

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:33 pm

nevermore wrote:As Larry Bird would say before the 3-point contest during All-Star Weekend: Which one of you clowns is playing for second? Because if I'm in the game, that's all you'd be playing for.

Alright - I'm starting to sense some momentum for the bake-off. Now we have to start figuring out the logistics.

When? Where? What are the ground rules? Who will judge the various lasagnas? And most importantly - what will be the prize for the victor?

Let's get a dialogue going!

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:35 pm

AmyW wrote:Pussy arms can't knead the dough?

Tell you what:

You make polenta even once following the recipe and directions I had to use at the Trattoria Delia, and then you can give me shit about my 'pussy arms.'

Until then - step da fuck off.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Game ON

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:43 pm

Marvell wrote:Alright - I'm starting to sense some momentum for the bake-off. Now we have to start figuring out the logistics.

Who's got the double oven?

Let me ponder this a bit. Not bowing out, mind you.

LASAGNA NATIONALS!!! SUNDAY!!! SUNDAY!!! SUNDAY!!!*

* Doesn't have to be a Sunday. Saturday might be better. Day of rest for digestion's sake 'n' all that.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Game ON

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:12 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:* Doesn't have to be a Sunday.

How you gonna make Sunday gravy on a Saturday?

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:16 pm

If we have many contestants, we'll have to rent some commercial kitchen and sell tickets to...

EAT IT, BITCH!: The 2006 Daily Page Forum Extreme Lasagne Bake-Off

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:21 pm

If you're seriously interested in contesting this, I could come up with a trophy of some sort, nail down a venue (you'd have to bring your prepared entries and we could maybe heat them on-site) and donations would go to a good cause.

Email me if you wanna piece of the action: joyce@isthmus.com

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:36 pm

I'll judge, I do have 3 names ending in vowels--and y'all wouldn't like mine anyway.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:02 pm

jjoyce wrote:If you're seriously interested in contesting this, I could come up with a trophy of some sort, nail down a venue (you'd have to bring your prepared entries and we could maybe heat them on-site) and donations would go to a good cause.

Email me if you wanna piece of the action: joyce@isthmus.com

Any way of handling pseudonymous entries? (Like, forons wearing dark glasses can drop off a lasagne sample at the Isthmus headquarters ...)

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:56 pm

jjoyce wrote:If you're seriously interested in contesting this, I could come up with a trophy of some sort, nail down a venue (you'd have to bring your prepared entries and we could maybe heat them on-site) and donations would go to a good cause.

This is a good idea, JJ. You can count me in (and you've got my email). They'd have to be prepared in advance anyway, wherever we do it.

I propose each contestant prepare two entries: one meat and one vegetarian (sorry vegans, this is friggin lasagna we're talking about), each to be numbered so those who partake aren't merely tempted to vote for their favorite foron (I'd hate to win by such a large margin ... heh). There could perhaps be two prizes awarded: one each for best meat and veggie concoction.

Got a good cause in mind?

I say bring it on, Boys-ardee!

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”