Rare on the square

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Rare on the square

Postby Shorty » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:52 pm

Rare steak house opened on the square. I went in one day to check their menu. They looked like huge three course meals which featured steak, of course, and cost $30 to $50 or more. I don't think they will get many customers.

http://rareonthesquare.com/

http://rareonthesquare.com/Rare_Menu_food.pdf

http://host.madison.com/news/local/city ... 4bf92.html

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rare on the square

Postby fennel » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:32 pm

I don't get it. Are steak houses a nostalgia meme now? Even for folks who crave red meat, I can't imagine a new "steak house" would have any attraction. I mean, the 60s are over, no? We have Mad Men for that.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:28 am

Shorty wrote:Rare steak house opened on the square. I went in one day to check their menu. They looked like huge three course meals which featured steak, of course, and cost $30 to $50 or more. I don't think they will get many customers.

http://rareonthesquare.com/

http://rareonthesquare.com/Rare_Menu_food.pdf

http://host.madison.com/news/local/city ... 4bf92.html

Anybody read the comments on the madison.com article? They couldn't be anymore blatant unless they changed their usernames to RareSquareRox or HiptobeRare or the like. Sheesh.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:49 pm

Yes I noticed the comments seemed biased. But there are a few good ones like this:
"Well, now the lobbyists have someplace closer than the Tornado to eat cow while squeezing Wisconsin's middle class into non viability."

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:37 am

Expense account/bribe/schmooze place.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:51 am

Will Rare have a $90 steak like Mason's on Main in Oregon is now offering?

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:38 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Will Rare have a $90 steak like Mason's on Main in Oregon is now offering?

That's a horrible story! All those wonderful ribeyes are going to end up hamburger (no big loss on the loins).

MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby MPMay » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:39 pm

Well my wife and I ate there tonight. Here's the story:

We had a cocktail at the bar. Loved the bar. The entire place looks like a classic steak house in a big city, mahogany wood, white tablecloths, red booths, big bar with mirror backing. The Better Half tried something new and it wasn't quite right, but better after she added a lime. I went with a martini with stuffed olives and it was great. They always are.

When we got to the table, we were handed the regular menus. I said, "I thought it was Restaurant Week." "Oh, that ended yesterday." I said, "No it didn't; I was told when I made the reservation that Restaurant Week went through Saturday." "I'm sorry sir, ours ended on Friday." "Can you check with the manager?"

The manager never came; we checked the website. Rare's website said Restaurant Week ended on Friday. So either I was misled or I screwed up. I was pretty pissed off at this point. The waiter said, "I'm sorry for the misunderstanding sir. If you don't wish to dine with us, that is fine."

After a consultation with the Better Half, we ordered some wine and decided to eat. Once we got over being angry, we were fine and just wanted to enjoy the meal.

Our appetizers/first courses were not great. She had ceviche, which came on white chips of some sort, but it didn't have much flavor. I had the lobster bisque, but it was a very small portion for $13. If they had served it in a cup it would have looked OK, but in a big bowl, the broth barely covered the bottom of the bowl. The flavor, on the other hand, was excellent. It just disappeared really fast, and only had a couple of bits of lobster in it. It ain't Shaw's Crab House bisque, I can tell you that.

The Better Half had the small filet and I ordered the Kansas City Strip. Mine was a bit underdone, and I had to send it back, but once cooked the way I wanted it, the steak was very good. It was 16 oz and I've got another meal waiting sometime next week. The Better Half's filet was excellent; she completely cleaned her plate. We shared a side of mashed potatoes that were also excellent.

We demurred on dessert, none of which sounded great, and I simply had some decaf with cream and sugar -- my usual dessert in any event.

In the end, the cost of missing Restaurant Week was about $40 for the two of us. Not a big difference given we got the entire menu instead of the prix fixe menu.

Bottom line: Ignoring the Restaurant Week issue, the service was great, the atmosphere was great, the steaks were very good. The appetizers were nothing to get excited about; the next time I go, I'll get the Caesar salad, which appears to be their signature pre-meal item.

It hasn't been open long, so I suspect they are still working out some bugs. At this point, the atmosphere is great, but the food doesn't quite measure up to better Madison steak joints like Tornado Room or Delaney's.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:48 am

Shorty wrote:They looked like huge three course meals

No, a three course meal is three courses for one price. Rare offers an Ala Carte menu, which is French for "according to the menu" and does truly refer to ordering items separately, ideally at a price that reflects that fact.

American restaurants have co-opted the term to charge a full meal price for a lonely steak on a great big plate, and twelve bucks for a salad.

Went here for Restaurant Weak. While I am not someone who desires anywhere near the portions that most midwesterners do, 5 bucks per mouthful of food just doesn't do it for me.

Beautiful interior though.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”